• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I have been doing some fence work for a ranch here on Gunnison to make gas money to get back home to MT which allowes me to bear hunt in the morn and afternoon.
I have called in several bear but were not the ones I wanted or did not present a good clean kill oppertunity.
Last night I set up in a spot I had seen bear moving through during their sept food freek out before they den up in the winter.
I called in a medium size bear about three hundred lbs or a little lighter last night way before dark. I decided not to harvest him and watched him until he got disinterested and moved on, or so I thought! about twenty mins later I heard teeth popping right behind me, I slowly turned to see the same bear 20yrd and acting aggressive, I showed myself knowing he had allready winded me but all he did was to slap at the ground and act like he may charge as I have seen in the past. Oh well young bear tast good.
I put my 50 cal round ball through his chest and he dumped with heart and lungs blown out.
I am now officially done forever hunting in CO.

You didn't have to go through all that, Man, I would have lent you some gas money. :wink:

Seriously, that's a nice chocolate-blonde black bear. Congratulations.

I lived in co. from 1977 to 1984 and never even saw a bear, you are lucky. fine animal.

Why are you forever done hunting in CO? And....tell us about this calling in the bear?

:thumbsup: Congrats GMB nice bear.You should eat good this winter. :hatsoff: Griz

very cool adventures you've been on this year! totally agree that a .50 cal is plenty, the bear I got this year dropped with a heart shot.
Congrats on the kills

What Colorado lost in GMB is an apex hunter. The game here should feel as happy as when the last grizzly left Colorado, and we Coloradans should feel as sad as when the last grizzly left :(

I am far from a bear expert, and I know it's said that Grizzlies don't quite go into Colorado anymore, but that long nose and forehead look more grizzly-like, though the ears do seem a little tall, though not as tall as I'd figure for a black bear. The claws don't look overly long, but I can't get over that snout.

Congratulations! Beautiful color in that bear. :thumbsup:

For the poster that said grizzlies don't get into Colorado...in 1979 a well-known bowhunting guide in Colorado, Ed Wiseman, was attacked by a grizzly and I think mauled pretty good. He killed the bear with a hand-held arrow.

So I guess while it might be extremely rare, it CAN happen there.
http://wisemangrizzly.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the bear! :hatsoff:

Spikebuck said:
For the poster that said grizzlies don't get into Colorado...in 1979 a well-known bowhunting guide in Colorado, Ed Wiseman, was attacked by a grizzly and I think mauled pretty good. He killed the bear with a hand-held arrow.

So I guess while it might be extremely rare, it CAN happen there.

Yep! Read the book Ghost Grizzlies by David Peterson. There's a reason why the regulations state that its not legal to shoot a grizzly (at least it was in them 8 years ago).

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to change the topic but I just checked and could not find any mention of grizzlies in Colorados current regs. They do list a description of black bears now though. They also put out a pamphlet on camping in bear country which states:

"Grizzly Bears
There are no known grizzly bears in Colorado. If you will be camping somewhere in grizzly bear country, be sure to get information on grizzly bear behavior. Grizzly bears respond to humans and human encounters differently from black
bears. Many areas with grizzly bears also have mandated food storage requirements you’ll want to review."

Back