• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations! :hatsoff: What kind of sound do you use to call bears?

Seriously though, I've had them come in when calling other predators with just about any call of a wounded small animal, whether bird or mammal. I've also had two come in to a fawn bleat while deer hunting. Unfortunately, even with our rapidly expanding bear population, that also seems to be getting bolder (hmmmm, wonder why?), CT. still has no bear hunting. And you better be seriously chewed up and clawed to ribbons if you shoot one in self defense, the nanny state will prosecute you.

Pretty bear. Glad you are ending your CO hunting in such a matter. Just wondering you posted using a .54 for the deer and .50 for everything else, why? Like the .50 better? Looking forward to hunts and pics from you further north. Dan.

Very Nice Brother Nathan - you make me proud to be in such a fine organization as the AMM - You are an example for all of us in the Association to follow with your adventures and ability in the wild :hatsoff:

You harvested a nice bear with a great color!

I would not call bear when in thick cover unless I was in a treestand since they can sneak up on you very quietly.
I have always used a 14'or higher stand when hunting bear over bait or calling. Climbing a ladder for them to smell a boot is not uncommon.

John

Well, GMB keep the stories coming From where ever you are. Your adventurous spirit will find things for you to hunt even if you were on the moon!

And as far as I know MT is not the moon and abounds with game of many kinds!

Good luck in your new life adventures. Your high regard for hunting ethics and respect for the critters you chase and your honest distaste of bull$#!t has earned you a welcome place near the camp fire. Be it my camp in Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada or where ever I chase game!

Keep yer powder dry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Colorado Parks and Wildlife requires that all hunter-killed bears be presented to wildlife officers within five days and data on age, sex and location of where the bear was killed is collected. This is an effort to monitor the number of bears killed, and the age, sex of animals taken by hunting. A small tooth is removed to determine age and how many times a female has given birth.

Greenmtnboy said:
morning crockett,
I moved to MT and will no longer be a CO resident.
:hatsoff:
Has anyone warned the critters in Montana yet..? :wink:
Congratulations on the bear and the elk. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

As I've only hunted in south and central TX and south east OK I've not been around bears (though being a military brat I've certainly lived in areas with them), but have been looking into backpacking on our major trails that go through brown bear territories and so I vaguely know of the differences. Though there really aren't brown bears in CO anymore, and haven't been in quite some time, it just seemed a bizarre built bear, something almost like a hybrid or some such.

According to this it barely resembles a black bear:
http://www.bearsmart.com/about-bears/know-the-difference/

But looking at the various pics you linked to shows a few similarly built bears. It was mostly the shape of the brow and ears that just seemed odd to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some mighty fine eatin there pard. I cut as much roast as I can out of a bear where as with a deer as much fryin meat as possible.

Could you explain the difference between black bears, grizzlies, brown bears and Kodiak and where they live.

Brown bears have never lived in Colorado.

Black bears do live in East Texas and far West Texas.

How do they tell how many times a bear as given birth by a tooth?. :idunno: . I think GMB should give the animals in Montana a 90 days notice he is moving in :grin: .

I live where 95% of the black bears are black but have seen one chocolate phase bear here crossing a hiway at noon. GMB's bear sure looks like every adult black bear I've seen or killed, nose and all ... except for color.

Richard Eames said:
Could you explain the difference between black bears, grizzlies, brown bears and Kodiak and where they live.

Brown bears have never lived in Colorado.

Black bears do live in East Texas and far West Texas.

:idunno: I thought grizzlies and brown bears were interchangeable :confused:

In fact I thought Grizzlies were one of several recognized subspecies within the brown bear species. Some others being coastal brown bear, Eurasian brown bear,Himalayan brown bear,Kodiak bear,The Alaska Peninsula brown bear.

and never is a long a** time.

Back