• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beaver Tail bags or Pouches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got my paws on a few RAW frozen large beaver tails, which of course look like the shape of a bag or pouch?
But I can't say I ever heard of anyone making a bag from a beaver tail.
It would need skinned and tanned of course.
Any one know of any such bags or anyone trying to make anything???
Thanks

I've seen contemporary pieces but not period pieces using beaver tails. They have been incorporated as design elements and even as a sheath for a small neck knife (with a rawhide liner). If you are wanting to stay traditional, I'd shy away...

In fact there was someone here on this site that did just that a year or two back. Don't recall the details or who it was, but the results were well worth his effort. You might do a search.

Black Hand said:
I've seen contemporary pieces but not period pieces using beaver tails. They have been incorporated as design elements and even as a sheath for a small neck knife (with a rawhide liner). If you are wanting to stay traditional, I'd shy away...

Wasn't the traditional way to cook beavertail just placing the tail on a bed of coals in a fire and then splitting it open when it was done? If so, then the skin would have been ruined while cooking it.

Gus

Beaver tail could be an abundant source of fat and I suspect they were eaten in any number of ways...

nhmoose said:
Think in bags= Shape not the actual tail?
As the OP asked:
Bigmon said:
I got my paws on a few RAW frozen large beaver tails, which of course look like the shape of a bag or pouch?

Not made from a beaver's tail, but made using a beaver's tail for the flap.
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2011/03/ken-scott-beaver-tail-hunting-pouch.html

DSCN4452_K_Scott_bag.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Black Hand said:
nhmoose said:
Think in bags= Shape not the actual tail?
As the OP asked:
Bigmon said:
Then I see big disappointment coming

I knew I'd seen beavertails somewhere. Finally located a source for tanned beaver tails. At prices ranging from $30 for large (5x10") to $12 for small (3.5x8"), I couldn't convince myself to tan my own unless I just wanted to do it for grins.

Historic or not, I have to admit that I'm really tempted. Dunno how thick they are, but a nice leather backing would fix a thin one in a hurry. I have a couple of nice tanned beaver plews that would create all sorts of possibilities.

I've only heard of them for knife sheaths. You tack out, scrap off fat and dry (rawhide).

I'm planning to have some fun with the two I ordered. The large is going to be joined to a beaver plew flap on a shooting bag.

The small is where the fun will happen. Beaver hats are real popular and real traditional out in the Alaska bush. I'm planning to make myself one, but I'm going to hang that small tail off the back side like genuuuuine Davey Crockett coonskin hat. I'm willing to bet I can start a small fashion trend with it! Guy's gotta have a little sense of humor once in a while. :rotf:

Sure grown a bunch in the last few years, haven't they? Seems like the time to talk them into stock would have been about 5 years back. :applause:

BrownBear said:
Update:

Ordered a large and small! :grin:

I would consider using the better-looking half (front/rear) of the small bag as a flap for the larger bag.

:slap: . :grin:

I was fascinated with a pair of pistol buckets under construction last time I was in the leather shop at Williamsburg. They had fur-on bear hide for "waterproof" flaps. Looked cool as could be and supposedly functional. I've been curious for a long time about using beaver the same way on a shooting bag, and it tickles my humor to have a tail hanging off. Not historic by any measure I know of, but it's my bag to wear.

you have seen it mentioned a lot ,about mountain men eating beaver tail. Ever tried it? I have, and I think I would have starved to death. The rest of the beaver is like a smaller pig. Good tasting .

Only had it once, folded into the middle of a caribou shoulder roast and baked. Caribou tends to the lean and dry side, hence the addition of fat. Both were delicious.

Back