• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Been wallaby hunting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffinNZ

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just got back from another successful wallaby hunting. I was fortunate enough to get a nice animal with my .40cal Isaac Haines and a neck shot no less at 60 yards! Photos follows:

fc1d5e2e.jpg

b4d27c6c.jpg

Scored another 20 kills (remember this is pest destruction) with a modern cartridge (.223) gun but I can't see them catching on.

Also found a wreck of a Toyota Landcruiser (fortunately not mine :shocked2: ) in a gully from some years back. It fell off a ridge and is well wrecked. Not sure of the exact history.

50ef89fe.jpg

The next is the country we hunting in. Pretty steep and hard going. Some semi open but often hunting in mountain grass (tussocks) that can be from shin to shoulder high.... TRUE! Frequently you are looking for wallaby ears to shoot at! The little suckers are only about 3 feet tall on a good day and when in locomotion they can be 3 yards away and you will never see them in their 'tunnels' through the grass.

224163e0.jpg

This is a pearler. The second step in preparing a wallaby scrotum for production of a JeffinNZ Roo Scrot ball bag.......removing the original running gear. :rotf: :rotf: Note the purple long johns :haha: HEY, beats being cold! :thumbsup:

687ade5a.jpg

Good time was had by all.

Hope you enjoy.

cheers

Jeff

Very nice pics. and a beautiful flinter. What is the rear sight on that flinter? Looks very much like My Williams. :hatsoff:

Thanks Sidelock. It is one of the barrel mounted peep sights that follows the contour of the tang. Authentic looking and great to use.

Introduced from Australia in the late 1800's Spitfire. Some folk eat them but mainly they are hunted to keep the numbers down as they are classed a noxious pest.

Due to your posting of that pretty rifle and Wallaby, I'll forgo any comment on your choice of long john colors :shake:...
Noxious pest huh??:hmm: Ilike that word, here we call them Varmits, both human and animal.. :rotf: :rotf:

Nice shot! That is a very nice rifle, and the shot of the scenery is very impressive! What a great place to go for an outing.

Thanks Jeff for the post. I have a couple of questions. The fur on that animal looks very nice. Do you do anything with the animal? I was thinking the fur might make some nice items for ML. Hat, clothing material?

Your hunting area looks pretty much like parts of my hunting area in Wa. State, USA.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

GMWW: Yeap, I skin the odd one and here is the result.3

Bag:

Rooposs.jpg

Hat atop Jeff:

124abdf5.jpg

Not bad plets thought the fur is a little coarse and shortish. I have gotten really good at skinning out the full face so as I get the eyelashes, ears, nose and all.

cheers

J

Cool. Thanks for posting the pics. That wallaby extermination looks like a real kick in the pants! Tell your possibles bag to quit lookin' at me.

V

Introduced from Australia in the late 1800's Spitfire. Some folk eat them but mainly they are hunted to keep the numbers down as they are classed a noxious pest.

Great Pics, Cool Long Johns. Why did they introduce the Wallaby to NZ? Was it as an game animal? For Meat?

gmww said:
OK, nice hat. What's your vest made of? :confused:

That would be a jersey calf skin. I was hunting a dairy farm for hares one day and found a calf on death's door. The farmer and I dispensed the coup de grace and I got the skin. Poor wee calf :( ; still he didn't die in vain.

J

How do, Jeff. Thanks for the excellent photos!

Although I've visited three other countries in the past, I'm mostly a homebody and eschew long-distance travel. The only other spot on the globe I'd truly like to see before I cash out is New Zealand. A few questions; Can a tourist bring a rifle over and engage in pest extermination? At what altitude are wallaby found? How spooky are those little critters? (Do they hold tight if they think they're unseen or do they bolt as soon as they become aware of you?)Is there a lot of public land available, or is most of it privately owned? How is access to private holdings?

If it's anything like out here, most of the land where the varmints live is either privately owned or hard to get to without crossing private land. And unlike years past (when folks who wanted to shoot prairie poodles and coyotes were welcomed with open arms), ranchers have begun charging for the "privilege" of eliminating predatory animals from their property. :youcrazy: I hope you don't have to contend with the same mindset down there.

:thumbsup:

Back