• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bees wax and deer fat for lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just rendered my deer tallow in a skillet, strained the oil and soaked my patch material in the oil and folded it up until use.Works great without anything to stiffen it.I am hunting in the same weather as you are, and haven't had any problems with seating the ball or cleaning.I rendered some racoon fat awhile back, and it looks like it has good posibilites as a good lube, but it definately needs some bees wax to stiffen it up.Plain old crisco also works good, and if you like the odor a little oil of wintergreen smells good in the patch lube.

Last edited by a moderator:
I considered the wintergreen but did not have the ambition to go to the drug store. The stuff from eastern main shooters supply smells like wintergreen. I did shoot the stuff and clean up was easier, it also works good as a salve on winter hands as you know central illinois weather does a number on ya. I believe we (the whole ice belt) have the worst kind of winters.

Back