• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bees wax finish for wood

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickD

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I might be having a senior moment but I swear I read somewhere that you can use bees wax as a wood finish..If so do you just melt it and brush it on and then buff??Trying to give a war club more of a traditional finish..

Yes, I believe Gary Brumfield uses bees wax. Heat up the wood and rub it in till it won't take any more.

bees wax works well mixed with boiled linseed oil. I use a mixture of 50/50. Heat the oil and beeswax in a pan untill the wax melts and stir as it cools. When it is cool enought to handle rub into the wood and then let set a day or more to dry. I use this finish on many projects as it is historically accurate, easy to apply and it brings out the grain of the wood as onlt an oil finish can.

I've used beeswax, by itself, as a finish for wood, horn, belt edges, tin boxes(the Altoids tins, after you've burned off the paint but the box is still uncomfortably warm. Gives 'em a nice patina, and keeps 'em from rusting), etc. Rub a good amount on, let it sit for a little while, then spend a lot of time rubbing the item down(I use a piece of leather) till it doesn't feel tacky and the surface is smooth.

Swampy said:
I believe you'll find Roy finishes his ramrods with beeswax.

um close :haha: Pretty much use paste wax melted in..

I did use a beeswax and turp (smells great) mix on my .45 for fun. I do use paste waxes on it every now and again too. I have had it out in the rain for a few hours here and there and seems to be working well.

RickD said:
Trying to give a war club more of a traditional finish..
FYI - Indians generally used bear grease - easiest equivalent - hog lard. Rub it in warm in light coats. burnish between coats with a coarse cloth and a piece of smooth antler..
Honey bees were imported critters.....

For crying out loud this is alot of work..Does the wood ever get a shine to it doing it this way??This war club was suppose to be a trail to see if I wanted to do a better one and if I do I have serious doubts I`ll try this finish again..

I've used 1/3 each of beeswax, turpentine, and boiled linseed oil. It seems to work fine. The wax helps it from getting slick when exposed to snow or wet weather. I rub this mixture on in paste form and heat with a heat gun to melt in. Rub down with a clean cloth... Can coat things on the rifle you don't want to rust too!

What flint says is good mix Ive used only a little but some other folks like and use it there is a fella selling this already mixed in a tin good for gun stocks

I agree with the beeswax/tupentine mixture recomended. You'll need to melt the beeswax into the turps over heat. It's a flamable brew, so be careful. Experiment. Mix in enough wax to have a soft paste when cooled. Just keep heating and mixing until you get a blend you're satisfied with. Rub the wax into the wood until it's no longer tacky. The wax polymerizes and gets tougher the more it's rubbed. Two or three coats will give you a splendid finish.

RickD

I have used a product (boiled linseed oil _ bees wax) called Tried and True. It is an excellent product. I'm not sure if it can be found online. Haven't tried.

I melt down a 50/50 mixture of beeswax and neatsfoot oil. I use it for a cold weather patch lube, leather protectant, stock paste, lip balm, cracker spread........you get the idea(g)

Back