• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

beeswax and linseed oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sghart3578

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello neighbors,

I am looking at a rifle that has a beeswax/linseed oil finish. I may to change to a darker finish. If I decide to tackle this what am I up against?

Thanks very much!

I don't think you're up against anything unusual. What is the condition of the finish? Have you refinished a rifle stock before?

Can I go over the existing beeswax/linseed oil or should I remove the old finish first?

Steve

definitely need to remove old finish first. Both wax and linseed will keep new stain from penetrating.
IF it's stain that you use to darken the color.

Steve, you don't need to remove the existing finish if the existing finish is clean and in good shape. Maybe just some very light abrasion to scuff the surface and give the overcoat something to grab hold of. You can darken the resulting color with what you overcoat it. Stain changes the color by soaking into the wood, so it doesn't work if there's a finish on it. Some other finish can be applied over existing finish if it's a compatible finish. EG oil over oil and wax over wax. And the result will be a darker color if the final finish is suitably colored itself. You can always make something darker, as you want to do, but you cannot make it lighter. That's why I suggested making your own wax and oil finish with dye to darken. You should know, though, that this kind of a finish does wear off and/or dry out and needs to be refreshed from time to time. I usually re-oil the milsurps in my collection about once every two years or so.

Last edited:
Back