• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why are shoulder stocks so popular on the replica 1860 Army and 3rd Model Dragoons?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Look, maybe a little more in Stability is gained. Yes I`d kind of like one for me looks. I am not knocking myself out to find one. I found an 1860 with the stock at an auction few years ago it went for $870ish then fees and tax, NAH Man I aint got more money than brains

The Look, maybe a little more in Stability is gained. Yes I`d kind of like one for me looks. I am not knocking myself out to find one. I found an 1860 with the stock at an auction few years ago it went for $870ish then fees and tax, NAH Man I aint got more money than brains
Consider it an investment. If you buy right, you should be able to sell it later at a profit, after you've had your fun with it.

I had given some serious consideration the Uberti 58 Revolver carbine, kind of appealed to me. Some thought to getting it and an unmentionable cylinder for it.

Anyone try that and do you have the same shedding of blast and fragments out of the forcing cone?

Not an add on stock but more or less the same idea though the barrel is a lot longer.
I cant say on conversion cylinder. I enjoy my 1858 carbine. Very accurate. So fun to shoot.

I had given some serious consideration the Uberti 58 Revolver carbine, kind of appealed to me. Some thought to getting it and an unmentionable cylinder for it.

Anyone try that and do you have the same shedding of blast and fragments out of the forcing cone?

Not an add on stock but more or less the same idea though the barrel is a lot longer.
The carbine uses the same frame (slightly modified to fit the stock) and cylinder as the revolver so spitting from the barrel/cylinder gap would be the same. If a conversion cylinder is fitted the gap still exists and the problem doesn't go away even is smokeless powder is used. It would do away with the spitting around the nipples though.

Ok, I've never fired a cap & ball revolver with a shoulder stock, BUT I've fired and used some unmentionable handguns (originals) with shoulder stocks before and found them cumbersome and sometimes awkward to carry on the move. Even if they are supposed to make accuracy better, they (to me) just get in the way afterwards. Can somebody explain this to me?
There may be some legal issues with a stock on a modern handgun, methinks.

The only Dragoon stocks made (to my knowledge) were from ASM, which went out of business in ~2002. VTI and Track Of The Wolf bought out what was left of the ASM parts, but that was almost 2 decades ago and remaining parts at both sites are scarce as hens' teeth. I don't recall ever seeing a ASM shoulder stock (or even parts for them) ever offered.

Once in a blue moon something comes up on GunBroker related to this. Back in December an outfit named October Country (Idaho) offered what they had bought from Dr. Jim L. Davis' (RPRCA) collection (he passed last September) and there were two ASM stocked revolvers, one with an 18" barrel. I passed on those only because I focused upon a shoulder stock cased set with a Pietta 1851 4-screw CFS with the maple stock I showed with my ASM Army above, and a cased set with a very rare Pietta 1862 J.H. Dance and Brothers .36 revolver (BH/1996). It is SN C00013, only one of 35 total production. I paid $325 for the Dance set and Davis estimated in 2010 that the revolver alone was worth in excess of $1000. I ran out of money for the ASM guns.

I don't want to hijack this thread. Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Regards,

Jim
Great! BTW, I have an Miroku M1861 Springfield SN #0013!

I have a stock for my .44 Pieta and I love it. Helps my aim considerably.
But it makes the pistol a bit bulky and I don't store it with the stock on.

Good for the range but messes things up for a carry weapon.
Now I did use it in a situation once and I loved how it felt as I advanced.
(I heard what sounded like a scream in the underbrush and I had just put my stock on my pistol earlier as I planned on shooting. So I am advancing in deep brush with my shoulder stock equipped pistol and honestly it felt really good. Made for a tactics minded advance pretty easy. Then I found what had screamed. A Doe, dead as can be and it had fang marks in its neck just like what a puma would make. Took me about a minute to dawn on me that I had walked up on a fresh kill some big kitty just made and I had chased the puss off its meal. I lighted out of there quick as I could. Went back to that area the next day to see if kitty got its meal or I had a rotting deer on my land. Deer was gone. I will say that the moment I put 2 and 2 together and came out with a 4 I was scarred enough to whiz myself. lol

Consider it an investment. If you buy right, you should be able to sell it later at a profit, after you've had your fun with it.
I've done many an auction, and the Fees and Tax are killers! You kind of have to ignore them mentally and just pretend you got the item for the base hammer price! (25% of price added on, plus state tax of 6 or 8 or whatever, it adds up!) Then the seller pays the house the same percentage, so the auction gets it both coming and going!:oops:

It’s a British condiment made from beer yeast waste and salt. It’s very savoury and salty, almost a meaty taste, and about the color and thickness of black strap molasses though nothing alike in flavour. Quite nice on butter toast.
Try marmite on buttered toast as you say & add some home grow tomatoes with salt & little pepper on top 😋 b
Very yum.

Atamarie ( have a great day)

Back