• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beeswax source

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snowdragon, I made up some lube using the toilet wax and olive oil. Tried it at didn't care for it much. It was a be-itch to clean out of the bore. Re-melted it and stuck in a candle wick. It's not a bad candle.LOL. But it doesn't smell to good when you blow out the flame.

Paul answered it well. There are many-many folks who raise bees than is generally known. Your local extension service agent can point you to beekeepers. Or you can buy the much more expensive stuff commercially.

Hobby Lobby in Chattanooga has some,I bought a good bit off E-Bay once and then from a guy on CASTBOOLETS it is raw unfiltered but works great

Look up a member on the Cast Boolits forum by the name of randyrat. He sells a few differant types of wax. This is where I get all of mine. The last time I was at a hobby store it was $17/lb. No way I will pay anything like that ever again. Randy is way cheaper and a very good person.

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys. I did find an ebay source that could furnish the small quantity I was seeking and had free shipping. I'll keep the info I received here handy for my next foray into lube making.
Thanks again.

Mac,

Thanks for your military service. 3BN 5th Marines.

Charlie
aka vietnam71
US Navy Vietnam 1971 thru 1975
USArmy 1982 thru 1996

The Tandy in Chattanooga is just of I 75 on Bonney Oaks drive just North of Hwy.153. I'm just South of your place in the Decatur/Athens Tn. area. :thumbsup:

vietnam71 said:
Mac,

Thanks for your military service. 3BN 5th Marines.

Charlie
aka vietnam71
US Navy Vietnam 1971 thru 1975
USArmy 1982 thru 1996

and for yours also. Welcome home.

smo said:
The Tandy in Chattanooga is just of I 75 on Bonney Oaks drive just North of Hwy.153. I'm just South of your place in the Decatur/Athens Tn. area. :thumbsup:

Yeah, thanks. I think I'll get by there next week. I want some leather stuff also.
Btw, you must have moved? Waverly is west of Nashville. :confused:

snowdragon said:
Boog, I tried some toilet bowl wax and olive oil many years ago, cuz I didn't know any better. It did ok, I guess, but later I found out that the wax is made out of polysomethingorother, not organic at all. It has the potential to leave burned crud in the bore. I still have a tub of it, and when compared to olive oil and beewax mix, the toilet stuff acts sticky and stringy, like melted cotton candy. Maybe because it's 20 years old, but I know the beeswax lube will still be good after that long. Bill
Thanks for the heads up on that. So far I have only used that concoction for water proofing a hunting bag. I will not let it get in the bore of my rifles.............Boog

Horns too! They got horns too! In a box behind the counter if you are intrested. :thumbsup: Yea My homes in Waverly but I work in East Tn. :idunno: I'm here alot more than i'm there. :shake:

Didn't notice if anyone mentioned Michaels. It's a craft store. That's where I've gotten it in the past.

My brother is a beekeeper, my wax is free.(kinda)
As was mentioned earlier Randy Rat on Cast Boolits
is a good source, he also sells lanolin .
Lanolin is good as an ingrediant for lube for conicals & BPCR.Randy has reasonable prices.

Back