• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bess's turn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes Indeed, we have crows, and also Ravens, a very large member of the crow family, where I am. Both are quite smart, and tough to get into gun range. Here they are often decoyed with a plastic owl, and electronic crow call recordings, to bring them in. Apparently they HATE owls, and they are the only species of bird that I know of in my state where one is allowed an electronic call to lure them in.

I've seen a pair of Ravens working over a Red Tailed hawk. I noticed that they Always came from above the hawk, dove down, and as soon as they had gone past and were below, they immediately flew to get above the hawk again. They apparently knew that being below the hawk for more than a moment might mean giving a deadly advantage to the very large raptor.

LD

Will I'll get crazy here, but.... I've eaten more then one tasty crow, preped right it's hard to tell from duck. Had an old wilderness survival book and remember the statement 'all birds are eatable.' First time I ate it it was a dare, went back cause it's none to bad.

When I was in college, my friend and I would shoot crows in the summer. Most everyone we asked gave us permission even though it was a semi-urban area.
Some of the people would ask if we were going to eat them. When we said "No", they would ask for them to fix for supper.

We always had to keep one each to prove to our suspicious wives that we really went hunting. :shake: But I never did eat one.

We used to shoot all the barn pigeons and crows we could, both for the farmers and Wildlife Conservationists. We used to bang on the sides of the barns to get the pigeons to fly out of the hay loft areas. Made good practice for Quail and Pheasants. Never ate a crow, though.

Gus

Patocazador said:
We always had to keep one each to prove to our suspicious wives that we really went hunting. :shake:

Reminds me of the yarn about the guy who was surprised and delighted that his wife packed his clothes for him as he was leaving on a hunting trip.

But he came home all upset, reciting tales of woe about the rotten weather and difficult hunting and no success. "I know you were trying to help Sweetheart, but the worst of it was that you didn't pack any clean socks for me. I went for a week straight drying my socks every night so I could hunt again the next day!"

His sweet wife looked startled and responded "But Honey, I put them in your gun case!" :rotf:

tenngun said:
Will I'll get crazy here, but.... I've eaten more then one tasty crow, preped right it's hard to tell from duck. Had an old wilderness survival book and remember the statement 'all birds are eatable.' First time I ate it it was a dare, went back cause it's none to bad.
I don't doubt you friend, it's just I see what they sometimes feed on!

Loyalist Dave said:
yes Indeed, we have crows, and also Ravens, a very large member of the crow family, where I am. Both are quite smart, and tough to get into gun range. Here they are often decoyed with a plastic owl, and electronic crow call recordings, to bring them in. Apparently they HATE owls, and they are the only species of bird that I know of in my state where one is allowed an electronic call to lure them in.

I've seen a pair of Ravens working over a Red Tailed hawk. I noticed that they Always came from above the hawk, dove down, and as soon as they had gone past and were below, they immediately flew to get above the hawk again. They apparently knew that being below the hawk for more than a moment might mean giving a deadly advantage to the very large raptor.

LD
I was out calling fox with Bessy but none came in. I did though have two ravens just a few feet above me checking the caller out. They never knew I was there.

B.

Britsmoothy said:
tenngun said:

Clams, oysters, shrimp, raccoons, bear, catfish. A bass that lived in the Tiber called 'likker' fish. The very best were fished in the area the sewage of Rome emptied in to the Tiber. Sewage fed bass were so special only the very wealthiest could afford it. Let's not forget mushrooms, or how one makes cheese or yogurt. Some day we may go to Mars, I wonder what they will drink.

tenngun said:
Britsmoothy said:
tenngun said:

Clams, oysters, shrimp, raccoons, bear, catfish. A bass that lived in the Tiber called 'likker' fish. The very best were fished in the area the sewage of Rome emptied in to the Tiber. Sewage fed bass were so special only the very wealthiest could afford it. Let's not forget mushrooms, or how one makes cheese or yogurt. Some day we may go to Mars, I wonder what they will drink.

How about a rat, have you ever,..

B :hatsoff:

Then in all the napololonic naval books like Hornblower and Bilitho and Nordoff and Hall tell about catching a ships rat and feeding on ships bread and oatmeal for a few weeks, can't be told from rabbit :haha:

BrownBear said:
Patocazador said:
We always had to keep one each to prove to our suspicious wives that we really went hunting. :shake:

Reminds me of the yarn about the guy who was surprised and delighted that his wife packed his clothes for him as he was leaving on a hunting trip.

But he came home all upset, reciting tales of woe about the rotten weather and difficult hunting and no success. "I know you were trying to help Sweetheart, but the worst of it was that you didn't pack any clean socks for me. I went for a week straight drying my socks every night so I could hunt again the next day!"

His sweet wife looked startled and responded "But Honey, I put them in your gun case!" :rotf:

That wife was just too jealous ... I've got a better one now.

If people are squeamish about what their food eats, they best stay away from chickens that have lived in a barn yard, running free.

Of course, bugs are on their menu of favorites which isn't too bad but they will gladly pick undigested corn and other nourishments out of any cow, horse, dog or pig poo they find.

:rotf: Zonie, that reminds me of the squimish lady at the high class restaurant that was offered tongue. "I could NEVER eat anything that had been in someone elses mouth" Sorry cant finish it here. But the waiter did offer an alternative. :rotf:

LD[/quote]
I was out calling fox with Bessy but none came in. I did though have two ravens just a few feet above me checking the caller out. They never knew I was there.

B.
[/quote]

I did try two bites of red fox.... won't try it again or recommend it for any one :shake:

Back