• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

best all around squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennis byrd

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Fellow flinters
I am a "newbie" to this forum but have been hunting all my life. I have come full circle back to squirreling but this time with a flintlock. I am so happy with this new twist on an old favorite. I have read with delight the great advice on different makers and flintlock parts etc. Ditchburn and siler locks, Green mountain barrel's and so on. I have picked up so much just from reading.
I have reached the point I want to purchase a new rifle specifically for squirrel hunting. I am looking for 32. cal or smaller. (25.?)
ADVICE FROM THE MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM IS TO ME PRICELESS!!The top three or possibly top five would be wonderful. Thank you all so very much for what you have already taught me!
Jet 90

Many may like smaller than a 32, but ramrods get real whippy and you really don't need to go smaller. Many discussions have been made on this topic. Find a gun you like between 32 and 40cal. and you will love it. I know, some will jump in here about their states regs. but I assume you know what is legal or not in your state.

I've been using a .36 for several years and to me, it's the best. It doesn't demolish the squirrel if you miss the head like a .40 does. I've observed the smaller calibers like a .32 tend to foul more and here in Oklahoma's humidity, that can be a problem. Just my opinion though...

I have a .29 flintlock, a .30 percussion, and a .32 percussion. I use all of them and all work equally well on squirrels. Shots need to be to the head to avoid damage to the meat. I use Lehigh Valley Lube with no fouling problems, even in the heat and humidity of Southern Illinois (It's supposed to be 95 degrees here tomorrow with humidity to match!) The small diameter ramrod is a concern that needs to be taken seriously and care must be taken when loading so as not to break it. To date, I've only broken one and that was a wooden cleaning rod. I've thought seriously about a .25 caliber and, if I go that route, will want something other than a wooden ramrod.

I started out using a .50 caliber on squirrels, which works fine as long as head shots are taken. You might consider this if you want to use just one rifle and need to get used to it for deer season also.

The advice is great so far, thanks. I didn't know you could find a 29. cal. I love it! Keep em comin and toss yall's two cents in on makers or even specific models. my personal preferences are rifles with amazing wood, beautiful scroll work on the wood, inlay's and all over as thin as a womans wrist! Whew! ive got it bad guy's, it's bitten me really really bad!
What's my cure?
JET90

Jet,
How much do you want to spend? Suzie Biccio at Muzzleloader Builders Supply builds beautiful rifles like you describe, but they aren't cheap.[url] http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/[/url]

Also, check out Danny Caywood's Southern rifle[url] http://www.caywoodguns.com/[/url]

For a less expensive but still good quality alternative, try TVM[url] http://www.avsia.com/tvm/[/url]

Personally I don't like dealing with the fouling a .32 generates, .36 is a bit better. My next smallbore will be a .40...

Good luck, whatever you decide -
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my Bill Large Full stock Hawken, 50 Cal. I have smaller ML's but I sure like shooting that rifle.
277703.jpg

Use the one you hunt with the most I say.

Headhunter

The key to my answer is that you asked for best "all-around" squirrel rifle. To me that eliminates the sub .32 bores. The .32 ball weighs the same as a .22 LR bullet and has similar close range ballistics, but can be loaded up to .22 mag velocities. The smaller bores [.20s] have several "disadvantages", such as lower energies, no commercial ball availabilty [you have to mold your own], and small bore fouling/whippy ramrod problems. Now, a squirrel may not know the difference between a .28 ball and a .32 ball, but a larger critter might [your all-around criteria]. Many folks will tell you that the other way is better, that is bigger than the .32. The .36 probably is more versatile--if you are considering going after varmints or turkeys, too. In my state the .40 is illegal [and so is the .38]. I am surprised that the Oklahoman posted about it being humid in Okie land--when I lived there I thought it was pretty dry--especially as compared to Louisiana where I live now! Humidity does appear to help clog bores and in the small bores clogging is more noticeable.

Jet90,
Sorry can't help you with a F/L for squirrels.
I personaly use a cap lock .32Crockett for the
first month of the season,which starts 9/1.Then
my .45percussion until around 10/1+.This is my preferred deer rifle.
Then for maybe another another month I will use my
.50cal Lyman GPR flinter on the tree rats.Attempting to make head shots or miss.
The .32 is for squirrels only.The .45 and .50
are a prelim to deer season, which starts
11/27.
snake-eyes:hmm:

My "squirrel" rifle started out as a compromise for both deer and squirrel but when I finished a .54 it was used only for squirrels. It's a .45 w/ a 42"x7/8" Douglas bbl, small Siler flintlock {wish it was the large Siler}, curly maple stock and was built in 1981. It's a little muzzle heavy but sure does lay in there nicely. Never kept count, but the number of squirrels that have been killed must be in the hundreds and 99.9% were head hits which is preferred w/ most rifles, irregardless of cal. {IMO} PRB w/ 30 grs. 3F is extremely accurate, not a whole lot of fouling which allows quite a few shots w/o cleaning and is very economical. With what I know now, a .40 cal. w/ the same specs would be my choice and a 3/8" RR could still be used......Fred

I'd say it depends entirely on which gun you enjoy most and shoot best. Heck, I've probably killed more squirrels around my place with an air rifle than I've ever killed elsewhere on hunts. Squirrels are easy to kill with head shots, so whatver you most enjoy using while shooting most accurately is the best choice.

Safety might seem like a reason for using my 32 rather than my 54, but if there's reason to worry I shouldn't be shooting anything. I use the air rifle around the house mostly so noise won't disturb anyone, because safety is at the top of my list even with a .177 pellet.

Among my MLs, I shoot a 32 cal Crockett or my 54 cal GPR most accurately, so I choose between them depending on my mood.

I started with a .45 and when I built a .54 I replaced the .45 with a .40 barrel...That's the one to get, no problem breaking the ramrod in a .40 because a 3/8 ramrod doesn't have any room to flex...Drop on down to about 30 grains of powder and you are good to go...

Now I just wish it was legal to use this .40 on turkeys....

Hey Headhunter,

Nice photo. Good on ya for getting those boys out in the woods, my boy is the best hunting buddy I ever had.

I wish I could use the guns I shoot most for squirrels, but where I live I can't use anything bigger than a .40 for small game, and with that boy watching every move I make, well, you know...

Mark

When I hunt ground squirrels (no tree rats here) I also hunt varmints and sometimes cottontails. So add another vote for the 36. I have two 32's, but prefer my two 36's for many of the same reasons already mentioned, plus the 36's will handle varmints up to coyotes quite well. I have carried some of my 45's, 50's and even the 54, but they do too much fur damage on the varmints, and if you connect anything but a head shot on squirrels or cottontails there isn't much left.

Headhunter I recognize the "thingamawhatchamagizzit" around your neck, it looks very handy! And speaking of handy, everyone thank you so very much for the insights. By carefully reading each post I have been able to glean a ton of GREAT information. The ammount of money and frustration I will save because of your help is greatly appreciated!
I have hunted all my life, squirrel's in Oklahoma tree tops, to leopards in Zimbabwe acacias and without doubt the most pricelss times of all have been hunting with my four children. This flintlock obsession is a very pleasant thing.
For those of you wondering on my insistance on a smaller calibre flintlock it's due to the fact that I am looking for an heirloom to baby sit untill a grandcild comes pokin around PaPa's things. Im not a PaPa yet, but if life has taught me anything it's that time tends to slip away!
Yall are great! Im honored to be a member. Jet90

I just noticed that you are in Tulsa--I lived there for 11 years and my daughter still lives there. That used to be a great muzzleloading town--there used to be a great club there. Some of the local buckskinners would put on shooting demos at the Gilcrease Museum annually along with Indian dancers, etc--they called it a 'rendezvous' i think. Old Willy Cochran made very good locks for rifles in Tulsa and was an active shooter there...I think the group was called the Osage Muzzloaders or something like that...you might check them out--some of them made nice rifles.

Mike
Thanks for the local information. I will look into the local groups for muzzleloading. There are indeed many talented riflesmiths in this area and I have been fortunate to have been tutored by some of the best. Sam Laird made the most accurate rifles I have ever owned. He was almost exclusively benchrest centerfire.
I would love to hook up with some local flintlock nuts, I will keep you posted! BTW I have done a good deal of Fishing for red's down your way, my folk's now live in "red stick". I would imagine it to be a little difficult to keep any thing dry in that humidity much less BP. Best wishes
Jet90

my favorite squirrel rifle is a Dixie Tennessee flinter in .32,i also have a Mowrey .32 caplock thats taken a lot of squirrels.just got a .40 flintlock i'm going to try out if it ever cools off enough to get out in the woods.

For the last two years, I have used a Traditions Crockett Rifle in .32. This Year I have an older TVM .32 flint. I have to agree with all the folks who would prefer a .36 to a .32. Personaly, I wouldn't use anything bigger than a .40 (even though I have on occasion used a .69 smoothbore with #6 shot). That little 'ole Crockett took a lot of Squirrels out of the top of some big hicory nut trees, (and squirrel does sure make a tasty stew!) hoping the TVM will do the same. Season comes in here in West Central Indiana Wednesday. What ever you choose, good luck and good hunting!

I have not yet tried squirrels with a flinter! The squirrels are hitting the hichories and even the walnuts here. For asome reason, the predicted 103 temps have me and the squirrels hiding today!

Back