• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

best out of the box pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a pistol to shoot at the muzzleloader shoots.
Looking for opinions on who is selling the best single shot.
Thanks
Marty

I have two favorites. A Lyman Great Plains percussion pistol in .54 cal to go with my TC Hawken kit rifle. That pistol has served my well for over 30 years. The other is a Pedersoli, flint lock Kentucky pistol in .45 cal to go with Blue Ridge flint lock rifle. I have had that pistol for 18 years now and enjoy it very much. I have others but those two get used the most.
Old Shepherd

That is about as subjective a question as one can find around these parts.
I have never found a fresh out of the box BP pistol I didn't have to do something to it to make it work 'right'. Sure plenty fired just fine, even hit targets well, but there is always going to be something, maybe some finishing work on the lock mortice, or a slight bend to a hammer, perhaps a little polishing the lock internals, maybe a little attention to a trigger.... or any number of small tweaks that make the thing ideal. Some products have a better track record than others.

I think the better question to start with is how much money do you want to spend and what style or era are you looking to get? Are you willing to put a kit together?

That is about as subjective a question as one can find around these parts.
I have never found a fresh out of the box BP pistol I didn't have to do something to it to make it work 'right'. Sure plenty fired just fine, even hit targets well, but there is always going to be something, maybe some finishing work on the lock mortice, or a slight bend to a hammer, perhaps a little polishing the lock internals, maybe a little attention to a trigger.... or any number of small tweaks that make the thing ideal. Some products have a better track record than others.

I think the better question to start with is how much money do you want to spend and what style or era are you looking to get? Are you willing to put a kit together?
Boy ain't that the truth ! I've had to work on all of mine as well to bring them up to speed !

Single shot? Le Page, of course:
Armi Sport Le Page.JPG

Best out of the box and you don´t have to sell your car
Pedersoli the duelling or match pistols Le Page, Charles Moore.

It`s the pistol put back in the box after being tuned properly by a great tuner... After taking a few ML to the range "cold" years ago I don`t waste range time until the new ones have had a full check up and some tuning in the shop. Someone asks to bring a ML to the range for me to shoot or rather " To help them " shoot. this require a exam before shooting. This frequently leads to learning the gun needs work before firing. Yes, even "new in box" types made by big name company's. So to answer your question directly... "None" ...But you may be lucky and have a fairly decent working pistol sometimes. As long as you expect no wins in these "Shoots" and " I`m just here to have fun and play around" as long as it functions without much trouble you will get what you expect. If you decide you might want a better chance to win matches "Tuning" helps..nsp

Back