• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BEST POWDER CHOICE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shifty-eyed critter,

If you are shooting just round balls, 3F works great for me.
[url] But.............in[/url] my slug guns, 2F groups better.

Try both and let your guns tell you what 'they' like! :grin: They are all different! :shocked2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I went shooting today and had an interesting oportunity to compare Pyrodex, Triple Seven and Goex 2F. One shooter insisted that the Triple Seven was by far the best. The price tag on his less than sixteen once bottle of it was $23. The Pyrodex was $16 and the Goex was $10. I listened to these guys go on and on about which was cleaner and better burning while I quietly tried all three. I noticed very little difference. I listened to the arguement that the Pyrodex had a noticeable hang time before it lit, but I didn't notice it. I noticed the price tag and the Goex had a hint of blue to the smoke. I swabbed between the shots and noticed no difference. I almost think the Goex burned cleaner than the Pyrodex but I was admonished that this wasn't so. My accuracy did not change with any of them. I think I'll stick with Goex and do twice as much shooting for my buck than my Triple Seven friend

A little over a yewr ago I started using Goex, FFFG in my flinters, for faster ignition. Also I could use it in the pan, as a prime. Worked great. I then decided to try FFFG in my percussion, T/C White Mountain Carbines, with thier short, 21" barrels. Again good results, and clean burning too. Now I use FFFG in most of my other ML's, when shooting patched round balls. (.50 & .54 caliber) When shooting conicals, such as Maxi-Balls, I generally use FFG. One of my T/C White Mountain Carbines has a 1 in 20" twist, that I shoot a saboted bullet out of. It likes FFG. The best part of this is I get to work up these loads, either FFG, or FFFG, and gives me another reason to shoot! :hatsoff:

Back