• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Wood For Knife Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were it me I would use Desert Ironwood, Cocobolo, or Ebony. All have allot of oil in them & they will last a LONG time & resist water, etc. Great knife handle materials........

:thumbsup:

leatherjunkie said:
***SNIP***
word of caution about cocobolo, some people are alerigic to it. so when sanding on it be sure to wear a dust mask. the sanding dust from cocobolo gets to me when i sand it alot.

Dust from working on Cocobolo (cocobola) is toxic, and some people get a reaction from just handling the raw wood. So yeah, be sure to use a mask and probably a light long-sleeved shirt. The skin reaction most people have to it is like poison ivy, and you surely don't want it to get into your lungs.

Really pretty stuff though!

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Another interesting wood for handles is sagebrush, something we have in great supply out here. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but that smoke tree wood kind of reminds me of it. I saw it on a knife once and had to ask what it was, when I was told Sagebrush, I about fell over.

If you're not worried about being absolutely PC, have the knife maker get the handle "stabilized". The process will turn any porous material (wood, stag, ivory, horn, bone, etc) into 'plastic', for lack of a better term, and you can't see it. The material is impregnated with monomers and acrylics that stop shrinking, cracking, warping and other bad things. There are several outfits that will do this and it's a bit pricy. I have mine done by K&G Finishing out in Arizona.

There are a bunch of different woods that can make you sick or kill you. I have a list that tells which are toxic and which aren't. I am a professional woodcarver by trade, and deal with a lot of woodcarvers regularly on forums. One thing that surprises me is, different people have different reactions to woods, and some that don't bother one guy, may make the next fella deathly ill. I personally have reactions to walnut, cherry, and white oak. It is important to use a dust mask especially when sanding. The fine dust is the worst. Safety goggles are important too. Dust in the eyes goes down into the sinus cavities. One of the worst possible things to work with is spaulted wood. The spault is mold. Elm is one of my favorites to carve, especially spaulted because of the lines and colors it achieves as it molds and starts to deteriorate. Unfortunately it is one of the worst to get in your lungs. Mold grows and thrives in warm moist areas. The lungs are exactly that. I hope you all read this and pay attention. I've spent a lot of time and money on antibiotics fighting infections from fine sawdust. I deal with the stuff everyday, and take precautionary measures . Pahaska

Here's the link to the chart I mentioned above. Pahaska
http://www.gvwg.ca/docs/Articles/WoodToxicity.htm

Latest posts

Back