• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

better accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you've got me thinking. It may also be a function of the amount of recoil generated.

Well now I have something to do next time I go to the range.

I'm not sure of the actual numbers or how it applies but this was an explanation given me when I raised powder charges in smokeless and the poi lowered instead of raised . The explanation was the time the bullet was in the barrel was less so the recoil of the rifle was felt less which resulted in less muzzle rise. once again there probably is a crossover where more powder will overcome the recoil factor and eventually will raise the poi.

Years ago while working up a load for a rifle using sand bags off a bench I noticed that the tighter the patch loaded using progressively thicker patches the higher the point of impact. I attributed this to more barrel rise as the tighter patches gave noticably more recoil.

With regard to barrel time, etc, I recall a series of photographs generated by Winchester, using a pre-64 Model 94 carbine, I believe 20 in. barrel, which showed the bullet exiting the muzzle before the muzzle lifted off the support block from recoil. Gave me fewer excuses, so I remembered it. No doubt a 44 in frontstuffer would be different. Good smoke, Ron in FL

It is again too windy to haul rocks. So out comes the flintlock, oh, and by the way I still think wind is harder to shoot in than rain or snow. I got to move this back to 25 yards and let me tell you that bullseye is SMALL. I doubt I can even see it at 50 yards let alone 75.
But on top of that I believe this bullet will be on the ground in 75 yards.

target5.jpg

5 shots
55grs 3f
4f in the pan
yellow patches with Bore Butter supposed to be .015 but measure .017

That's what I was thinking. The crossover point. I distinctly remember lowering charges in ny Southern Mountain .32 when I started to work up loads. It was shooting a little low and wanted to see what effect it would have before filing the blade.

I've noticed particularly in my .40 that 40 grains hits dead on the front sight at 25 yards but if I drop the charge back down to 30 grains, the ball hits just BELOW the front sight. 60 grains is high at 25 and still high at 50 yards. My other rifles behave (or misbehave) similarly.

hanshi said:
I've noticed particularly in my .40 that 40 grains hits dead on the front sight at 25 yards but if I drop the charge back down to 30 grains, the ball hits just BELOW the front sight. 60 grains is high at 25 and still high at 50 yards. My other rifles behave (or misbehave) similarly.

Do I understand this as the windage sight setting is fine with a reasonable range of powder charges? Altering charges effects elevation but windage stays reasonably constant?

Latest posts

Back