• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Better than Bore Butter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Whats your favorite patch lube?

This topic has increased my curiosity of “lubes”. It would be some task to try all the different ones that have been suggested as “My Favorite” lube to see if one was actually better than others. I use Bore Butter and it seems to work just fine.
So compared to Bore Butter, as a control base line, what would your favorite lube do better?

I have tried Crisco and olive oil and a few other oils around the house.
Plus I found an old, very old, container of “Mink Oil” which does not state what it is on the label other than that. The things I tried either were messier or didn’t work any better than Bore Butter.
Bore Butter also passes the Miss Elizabeth smell test, which is always invoked when black powder shooting is even, talked about. Let alone actually shot out in the back yard!

If it works for you and the boss likes the smell why change? Over the years I have played around with almost all oils available, ( In the early sixties I even tried STP-big mistake ) and for me there is little difference in any of the nonpetrolium oils as a lube.So I stick to my lard and beeswax because it is cheap for me . The nephew raises bees, and the neighbor has hogs so I usually get both free.Turner Kirkwood recommended crisco in the early sixties and bore butter is the same with perfume (in my humble free opinion ). :hmm:

hate bore butter, worse stuff to call a patch lube.

I use Birchwood Casey Barricade and spray down my patches. What does it do? Patches come out in excellent shape,and the best part, my fingers are not covered in snot slick lube. I shot over 40 shots without ever having a hard time starting the next ball. Cleans my bore out excellent when reloading for the next shot.

Swampy this thread is in responce to that thread!
You are supposed to convince me why other lubes may be better than Bore Butter.
Like the reply Mr. Kentuckywindage made.

ebiggs said:
Swampy this thread is in responce to that thread!
You are supposed to convince me why other lubes may be better than Bore Butter.
Like the reply Mr. Kentuckywindage made.

So, I'll answer the question.

First I like being able to make a more traditional lube. Also from what I have read about Bear Oil, it was known not to foul the powder and is good at cold temps. That mixed with Deer Tallow makes a nice paste I can rub into my patches.

Stumpy's Moose Snot doesn't harden until about -10F and gives me more shots between wiping (in fact I almost never wipe while shooting anymore).

I got alot of bore buildup when using Thompson's Bore Butter. I use the Moose Snot lube I got off of this site. Works really well shot after shot. I've used it on leather as a water treatment/ softener also with good results.

ebiggs said:
Whats your favorite patch lube?

This topic has increased my curiosity of “lubes”. It would be some task to try all the different ones that have been suggested as “My Favorite” lube to see if one was actually better than others. I use Bore Butter and it seems to work just fine.
So compared to Bore Butter, as a control base line, what would your favorite lube do better?

My favorite would not get runny in warm temps like BB does, as well as be easier to apply to my shooting patch.

My favorite patch lube for general shooting is plain old free and always available on demand Spit.

For hunting I use TOTW Mink Oil.

Hey we all know the saying...Keep It Simple Stupid... :grin:

A little non-traditional here, i've been buying patches from Sportsmens warehouse with Wonderlube-2000 already applied, but since the "bug" is REALLY hitting me hard (Made a rifle and building two powder horns as we speak) Where can you get this Moose snot? and I hear you guys use pillow ticking, but what exactly is that? (hope i'm not stealing this thread)

Towards the top of the Index page to this forum, you will find a box marked " Member Resources". Scroll down a bit to find "Articles, Charts, and Links."

You will find an article on Stumpy's Moose Snot under " Articles"-- and you can go to Links to find suppliers who sell Mattress ticking. Or, you can find a fabric department at Wal-mart, or any of the other discount stores, or go to a fabric store, and ask for pillow or mattress ticking( the clerks don't always know the difference, either.) Take a micrometer or caliper with you to measure the thickness of the fabric. Also ask to see Denim, Pocket Drill( use to make the pockets in GI fatigue pants, and others) Linen, and canvas. Depending on your needs, you may need to be buying something thicker than what is available in Mattress ticking and pillow ticking.

I hope that helps. :thumbsup:

roundball said:
Kentuckywindage said:
hate bore butter, worse stuff to call a patch lube.

Which brands of bore butter have you tried?

TC brand, Traditons brand and right now i have half a tub of the Wonderlube. They all suck and my patches have always been shredded.

TC brand, Traditons brand and right now i have half a tub of the Wonderlube. They all suck and my patches have always been shredded.

What I've found is that just about any of the common patch lubes both commercial and home made work fine, including spit. It is unlikely that shredded patches are caused by a lube deficiency. My own experiences say if it works with any one patch lube it will work with all.

Maybe you been shooting too many of those trash can bullets. :) Your rifle is revolting. :shocked2:

Barricade stopped my patches from burning up.

Bore butter will never see one of my rifles bores again :thumbsup:

Worst complaint I had with the Bore Butter/Natural Lube was that it stained everything yellow and was a mess when warm. When I hung a ball block from my neck or bag strap my shirt or frock would be a greasy mess, and in the bag it attracted lint and migrated into everything. Shot well and kept the bore slick but was too messy.

The Ox Yoke "Improved Wonder Lube" I had from the early 80's was a horrible lube. I had to spit wipe after every shot. I think it was mutton tallow and parafin wax.

Latest posts

Back