• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BIG Bores???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who here owns a smoothbore of 10 gauge or more?

I've always thought an 8 or 10 gauge fowler would be a hoot.

Thanks gang!!
I’ve got a 10 bore single and a 10 bore double. I had to do some work on the double and haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. I have hunted with the single and really love it.

Attachments

• IMG_4245.jpeg
    IMG_4245.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
Today I traded for this Wm Chance & Co 8 bore percussion double. It has 33" barrels. The marked importer is Trimble of Baltimore. It needs a pair of hammers, and the RH lock needs a couple internal parts. I think it has really good bones and should make a shooter without much trouble. Flying things beware.

1724186807587.png

1724186868028.png

1724186901723.png

1724188393377.png

Attachments

• 1724186835273.png
    1724186835273.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Congrats Dusty_Traveller, that looks like a nice shooter!

When shooting the larger (>10 gauge) smoothbores, keep in mind state and federal regulations on bore sizes. For instance, can't hunt waterfowl with >10 gauge (federal), and some states restrict the hunting of upland game to 10 or less.

I have a pair of British live-bird guns in 6 gauge. Very straight stocks, no provision for ramrods, strictly range guns. Since I don't shoot trap, I've not figured a use for them in today's world, but the locks are things of beauty.

Enclosed are a couple of images of part of my my fowler collection ,here in the UK bores between 2 and 10 bore we class has wildfowlers but since the ban on lead shot for wildfowling these guns have now become part of the collection. The images show that some are flintlock and some are flintlock converted to percussion most have old iron barrels and to shoot steel and other shot will do a lot of damage so they are are now retired
Feltwad
P1010007.JPG

P1010003.JPG

Enclosed are a couple of images of part of my my fowler collection ,here in the UK bores between 2 and 10 bore we class has wildfowlers but since the ban on lead shot for wildfowling these guns have now become part of the collection. The images show that some are flintlock and some are flintlock converted to percussion most have old iron barrels and to shoot steel and other shot will do a lot of damage so they are are now retired
FeltwadView attachment 344568
View attachment 344569

I love those so much! Do you have an 8 bore?

Latest posts

Back