• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bison or other game steak seasoning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Beak

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Aside from the gourmet steak butters that are usually found to accompany steaks, are there any wild seasonings that can be found at this time of the year for flavoring bison at the camp site? I just made fire today with the flint and steel for the first time and wanted to celebrate with a bison filet. Any recomendations as far as seasoning? Thanks for the input.

marinating in Jack Danials comes to mind, we have a steak place not far from here that does that, & steaks have always been tender and well flavored. Maybe a big pile of sauteed onions to go with it?

Marinating in plain vinegar seems to work too, but is more as a tenderizer on tougher cuts of meat.

Sea Salt and a bit of fresh cracked black pepper. Enjoy the flavor of the meat rather that the seasonings/flavorings......

IMHO, Since Bison tastes more like prime beef than anything else, I season mine like I do my beef steaks - salt, pepper, and garlic.

:grin: Cut off it's horns, wipe its arse, show it to the grill, and serve it to me. I cannot tell the difference between Bison and Beef---if it's a good cut, sear it on two sides and finish her in the oven rare---good glass of wine some fresh salad---darn I am hungry---how come???? :rotf: :rotf: :thumbsup:

Black Hand said:
Sea Salt and a bit of fresh cracked black pepper. Enjoy the flavor of the meat rather that the seasonings/flavorings......
I'll 2nd that. We've been buying quarters of "the big shaggy" for about 8 years now - can't find much better table fare.

Never had bision but my good old stand by is seasoned salt and fresh ground pepper, My 2 cents.

Hi Red Beak,
For Bison steak, I would place a well seasoned iron skillet on the fire and add just a touch of cooking oil. Just as it starts to smoke add the steak. Please do not move the steak in the skillet, let it sear well on the first side before turning over. Do not add salt to the steak while it is cooking, as this will release the juices and make your steak dry. I like my steak rare, so while it is cooking I feel with my finger to make sure it is still soft to the touch and not hard or stiff. after I remove the steak, I put a pat of butter on it and than add fresh ground pepper and salt. As a side dish I like mushrooms and onions sauté in olive oil with hot pepper flakes added, also mashed potatoes and a good crusty bread. A glass of red wine would be my drink. Oh and don't forget dessert, apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Of course my camp fire would be in my back yard. How else would I be able to have ice cream on my pie. Well I have to go now, I have worked up an appetite. :grin:
I sure hope my Cardiologist doesn't read this. :nono:

Yagee :thumbsup:

Yagee said:
Do not add salt to the steak while it is cooking, as this will release the juices and make your steak dry.

This is a bit of a cooking "urban legend". The use of salt brings some proteins to the surface, and it is these proteins that participate in the Maillard reaction. The result is a nice brown on the exterior of the meat.

What you say may be true for very small pieces of meat, but the salt can not penetrate into the center of the piece of meat unless it is packed in salt for a longer period of time (i.e. salted meats).

Also, to keep most of the juices in the meat, allow the cooked steak to rest a few minutes (5-10) before cutting.

Just my 2 cents.......

As to rest of your post - sounds like a fine meal and is making my mouth water!

In my area one of my favorite seasonings to gather for camp is wild chives. They are plentiful and useful for a wide range of meats and vegetables.

Chop the tops just like green onions and sprinkle them on meat or fish while cooking, or as a topping for potatoes, etc. The flavor is usually subtle, but they are pleasing to the eye and smell great. If you find some and have salt and black pepper, you are set!

Leaky Roof

My brother-in-law raises them in South Dakota and I try to pick up a quarter at least once a year when we make one of our 2 or 3 trips a year to see my folks. Sometimes I need to call and get one headed to the processor, sometimes he has a quarter on hand . . .

Boys, you're killing me. I first tasted bison in 1968 in the great hall at Philmont Ranch, the fabulous Boy Scout facility in Cimarron, N.M. They still raise bison on the ranch. Since that time, I have eaten it when I could get it, and now it is a periodic, if a bit expensive, item in the local grocery stores. I hope to do a meat hunt in Nebraska or the Dakotas next year.

Just picked up another 1/4 of bison last weekend, this one (and the last several) was a heifer . . . $2.63/lb cut, wrapped and frozen. Good stuff . . . If'n anyone's interested I'll ask if he wants to try shipping . . .

Wild leeks or garlic can be sliced and put into cuts in the steaks before cooking. Try to use slightly green wood for you're fire with some "flavor" too; apple, hickory, and cherry are common around here. I've become fond of "steak on a stick" squewered on a green stick and cooked over an open fire, no need for grill or skillet.

If you are using a skillet, to compliment the leeks, wild mushrooms are a nice addition.

Wish I had a buff 1/4 now the venison supply is getting thin.

Back