• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black bear hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Packmule

32 Cal.
Reaction score
going to Maine this year bear hunting and thinking about taking my TC Hawken, the hunt will be with dogs. Just wondering what y'all thoughts or recomended bear loads would be thanks.

You didn't say what caliber but if your dogging and treeing, long as you do your part anything .50 cal and up should do it just fine.

I am sure you could get-er-done with a round ball but I would personally prefer a heavier connical. My belief in bear hunting is to "break them down" by breaking the front leg and then on into the vitals...a 385 grain hornady over 80 to 100 grains would be good.... :2

When I was a kid about 99% of the bears our dogs got us were treed. Firearm of choice was a 22 rimfire handgun. Put one behind the ear, let the dogs worry the carcass a little, and start skinning. You didn't want to wound a bear and drop it among your dogs, so if anything more was needed I'm sure we would have used it.

Unless you're going for a skull mount of the bear, I'm betting your guide is going to set you up for a head shot. If not a head shot, then the neck. They really don't want to lose any dogs.

Your 50 will be fine with RBs, long as you point straight.

BrownBear said:
When I was a kid about 99% of the bears our dogs got us were treed. Firearm of choice was a 22 rimfire handgun. Put one behind the ear, let the dogs worry the carcass a little, and start skinning. You didn't want to wound a bear and drop it among your dogs, so if anything more was needed I'm sure we would have used it.

Unless you're going for a skull mount of the bear, I'm betting your guide is going to set you up for a head shot. If not a head shot, then the neck. They really don't want to lose any dogs.

Your 50 will be fine with RBs, long as you point straight.

Watch him get a record book bear treed. I know the chances are remote but those you do not shoot in the head as I'm sure you already know.

i am also planning on going bear hunting with dogs this december in west virgina. i was thinking about taking my 54 cal t/c hawken with a maxi ball or maxi hunter and 110 grains FF. i was worried that i would be undergunned but seeing this post it looks like i should be fine :grin: cheers SS

That will work fine SS. Some of those trash can bears get BIG. :shocked2: Larry Wv

It's a misconception to think Black Bears are hard to kill. They really aren't but they are also an animal that can and will bite back, so you have to make sure you do your job.

Just make sure you and your gun is ready, you know exactly what your doing before you shoot. I'm sure the guide will tell you when and where. He will/should also be there to back you up.

And before you go, practice, practice, practice and practice some more.

If you are worried about penetration just use a hardened rb, they even sell them commercially now. I do agree with breaking bones but like swampy said they are not that tough. One of my buddies who's been hunting bears since he was a little kid tells me they aren't as tough a deer. I don't know about that, my group always uses .30 caliber modern rifles and I use a .58 cal with hard rb's, I do know that if you hit them in the boiler they don't go near as far as a deer shot in the same place. The bear I shot last year was shot with the .58 cal hard ball and the ball broke the shoulders ribs and even clipped the spine and still exited and went so far into the ground I couldn't find it.We didn'y weigh the bear but it was between 250-300#'s.If your shot is true you will be just fine.

I shot a 500 pounder with a flintlock loaded with 80 gr. of 3f and prb. Didn't go far at all. But that time, I was the one in the tree! :rotf:

silent sniper what part of wv are you heading to?i hunt in pocahontas county with relatives and we have a blast! those fellows beleive in heavy bullets .most of them carry 44 mag handguns ,magnum rifles,with the 45/70 being a popular round .im taking my muzzleloader next year ,because of the shots most all being straight up ill take the 50 cal caplock i just bought .what id like to do is take my .45 hawken flint and my .50 flint pistol ,but wont the pan powder fall out on a steep angle shot ?

but wont the pan powder fall out on a steep angle shot ?

Hold your gun upside down, unloaded, fill the pan with prime first and then fire it. It will go off no worrys as long as your gun is tuned.

I would not worry so much about the gun and load combination. The Hawken will do well. The average Maine black bear is 140 to 150 lbs so bear that in mind.

Having hunted bear with dogs may I offer some cogent advice?

Get in really good shape. You will be pushed to your limit. If you have any excess weight, start reading the South Beach Diet. Start walking everyday for 20 to 30 minutes. I am serious.

Have done one black bear hunt, a .50 is fine I used a .54 just becouse it is my favorite rifle. I am looking to set up a hunt in 2012. Let us know how it went.

I agree that a .50 or larger [80+ grains], well placed, would be a safe and sure weapon for most northeastern bears.
I had the opportunity to hunt the timber leases north of Moscow Maine, using dogs. Great adventure!

Shot a decent sized bear a few years back with 50 caliber RB over bait. Didn't go far.

I agree, Black bear seemed to die faster than deer

Back