• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black bear load ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rijerolmon

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for information. Have been offered a blind/stand in Northern Maine 40 to 50 yards off a bait site. Better off with a .50 PRB or Maxi or a .62 PRB either will be over 85gr. FFF ???.

Having used a .58 with PRB over 90gr.FFFg , I would go with the .62.

Either should work fine, though the .62 makes a bigger hole. Use what you're more comfortable with.

I have never hunted black bears but I would say to shoot the rifle that you shoot best..............watch yer top knot............

R. I. Jerolmon said:
Looking for information. Have been offered a blind/stand in Northern Maine 40 to 50 yards off a bait site. Better off with a .50 PRB or Maxi or a .62 PRB either will be over 85gr. FFF ???.
I'd choose the .62cal PRB hands down...Good luck on your trip.

While the .62 is a real heavy hitter, the .faster .50 prb is no slouch. As has been posted by others, I'd use the gun I shoot best.

I've killed a couple black bears with a 62 PRB and 90 grains of 2f.

I never had to shoot one twice!

SC45-70

My .58 Likes 80gr.fffg. and PRB. Deer realy hate it they tend to bleed out rather nicely when hit. I would not hesitate to use it for black bear. Givin the choice between a .50 and a .62 I would take the .62. I just like the bigger caliber's "whompability". I like a ball big enough to exit and leave a sizeable exit hole. This has made all my tracking easy so far. BJH

The only black bear I shot with a BP was shot with a .490 prb over 70 gr of ffg from a TC Hawken, it was a through and through at 60 yds. Hair pigs is easy to kill!!!! A well placed shot from either of your choices will work fine!!!

Im going with Nit wit and my brother. And a couple of others the first week. Im using my Roy Stroh rifle. 490 70 grs of 2f,hopefully this will be number 15 in the bag. My backup gun, will be a Roy Stroh .62 fowler 70 grs 2f .600 ball. I never go on a remote hunt with just one gun. This hunt is in Andover maine. I live 3 hours east. See you at vous.
Like has been said they are not hard to kill. No harder than a deer. Behind the front leg when he reaches foward. Or the last one I shot I put it in behind his ear. He was DOB, dead on the bait. I hate chasing them I hate dragging them even more. P.S. HI BJ :hatsoff:

The only bear my dad or I have gotten so far outside of archery was .45 prb over 80 gr ffg

Thanks to all of you! I believe that it will be the .62 with the .50 as back-up. Shine, glad to see that you are going with your brother, NitWit and friends...MAKE MEMORIES!!

Back