• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black English Flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Ran 50 balls through the TC Hawken .58cal Flinter this morning using a new 3/4" black English flint...never had to knapp the flint at all.

About halfway through the 50 shot session while cleaning the lock with alcohol, I flipped the flint over and finished the other half of the session...will continue with it next Saturday and see how far it goes before I have to touch it.

Burned up another 2500grns of PyrodexRS...used layered loads of 20grns Goex 3F with 50grns RS poured on top...worked perfectly, excellent accuracy, etc.

It was in the 20's with an 8-10mph breeze in my face...chilly to say the least!

Sounds like a beach day up here :winking:
Just kidding,I use Black english flints in my only flintlock.I'm not much of a Knapper so it's a good thing I can average over 80 shots out of one.I'm thinking maybe I might Get out to do some shooting tomorrow too but it is giving a heavy rainfall waring followed by a heavy snowfall warning with gale force winds.Oh well it is winter. :v

Halftail said:
Sounds like a beach day up here :winking:
:rotf:
I understand...fortunately, winter here in North Carolina is only a couple months...and most of the time it's in the 30's - 40's...but I hadn't had a good shoot since hunting season opened in October and just had to go...

Roundball, where do you get your flints from? If they are lasting that long, I definately need to get some of them! :hatsoff:

Here is where to get them.[url] http://www.octobercountry.com/[/url]
You can get them a bit cheaper here too if you buy them 50 or a 100 at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want the Tom Fuller black english flints you can get them at[url] www.tackofthewolf.com[/url]
You can buy them in any quantity or size you want. A lot of the reason for long flint life though is the balance of strength in the mainspring and the featherspring. You want lots of sparks but you don't want them to desenagrate.
Don

Last edited by a moderator:
flyfisher76544 said:
Roundball, where do you get your flints from? If they are lasting that long, I definately need to get some of them! :hatsoff:

I've bought mine from October Country

Don't all the black English flints come from Tom Fuller?

When that guy goes, we're in trouble.

WRussell said:
Don't all the black English flints come from Tom Fuller?

I don't think so...I've seen places like TOW or some BP supplier who has a couple different listings....they have "black english flints", then they also list "Tom Fuller black english flints"

I'd hope somebody would buy out his business when in comes time for him to retire, etc...(heck, for all we know, that may have already happended)
:confused:

A good amount of the flints out there come from Bob Winters down in Sparta Tenn. I have seen him sell thousands at the Dixon's Gun Faire in Pennsylvania. He has done it for a living for many years and as side income before that.he's an archeologist by trade and one of the finest knappers in the country, just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

Birdman said:
A good amount of the flints out there come from Bob Winters down in Sparta Tenn. I have seen him sell thousands at the Dixon's Gun Faire in Pennsylvania. He has done it for a living for many years and as side income before that.he's an archeologist by trade and one of the finest knappers in the country, just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

I think if I had to sit and knapp flints all day, after a while I'd be looking for a tall building with an open window! :grin:

I think if I had to sit and knapp flints all day, after a while I'd be looking for a tall building with an open window!

Or buy stock in band-aid companies.

Latest posts

Back