• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laffingman67

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here it is after about 18 months and 2 forging sessions. The tomahawk head was forged from a ball peen hammer on my buddies gas forge and little giant. I finished the forging at the Old N.W. rendevous this year at the blacksmith shed run by fellow Rangers, Paul and Uncle Dan. They were indispensable in guiding me to the final shape. I finaly finished last night with the curly ash handle and blacking the hawk head. I used an ebony colored stain to stay with the black hawk theme. :youcrazy: The head is 8½" long with a 2½" blade width. The handle is 20" long from ash. I sealed the whole deal up with bees wax. Thank you for looking. Critique is also very welcome.

blackhawk4.jpg

blackhawk3.jpg

gees only 18 months! that's great ..fer you! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: seriously,, nice job! looks great! send it to me! :thumbsup: RC

did you have a tutorial showing you how to do it or did you jsut say i want to use this hammer to make a fine tommy hawk. i saw a ballpien to hawk tutorial onlnie a while ago and can't seem to find it anywhere. if anyone knows where it is i would be more than interested in knowing about it. thanks

great hawk i love the shape, and the spike i want to kow if the spike on the rear is PC or not. it sure does make it look real good.
great work. first hawk i made took me 16 month so you got me beat on that one.

Son

Thank you all for your kind words. :bow:

RC... That was just mean :nono: :rotf:

Son, I have not seen a tutorial on this. My buddy Tim has made a few hammer hawks and I decided to try one. I'm glad I had the use of his little giant for the first part of the forging. That L6 doesn't move very well. :shocked2: I use a tomahawk drift to form the eye. As far as PC, I believe they are but I think Cooner or Tom Patton and a few others would be a better judge of this.

Thank You :hatsoff:

son said:
did you have a tutorial showing you how to do it or did you jsut say i want to use this hammer to make a fine tommy hawk. i saw a ballpien to hawk tutorial onlnie a while ago and can't seem to find it anywhere. if anyone knows where it is i would be more than interested in knowing about it. thanks

great hawk i love the shape, and the spike i want to kow if the spike on the rear is PC or not. it sure does make it look real good.
great work. first hawk i made took me 16 month so you got me beat on that one.

Son

Spike tomahawks were very common. look here Spike Hawks

Great looking hawk,beautiful work. The second one never takes as long so hang in there

S.Willis

Thank you very much for the compliments, Gentlemen. :hatsoff:

It didn't last long. I went to a vous this past weekend and a fellow tinkerer saw it and we made a trade. I now own a very nice scottish dirk. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back