• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black is the best!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pyrodex has no delay when firing in my rifles. I either buy the hollow base spitfire nipple or make one myself.

.50cal percussion

This fouling i am getting is pretty common. The modern day muzzys when shot with american pioneer, T7

Everyone is different but for me I surely don't mind swabbing the bore before my next load. I use flinters and I like real black powder and drilled out target centers and dragging deer. A little swabbing gives me a little chance to enjoy the moment. :hatsoff:

If I feel the need for rapid fire and no cleaning I can dig out one of those dusty things with scopes on them but I wouldn't have near the fun or enjoyment. Same goes for my recurve bow; the new stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Real black for me! Wouldn't use anything else. I swab between shots regardless. Ole Black Thunders prints 2 1/2 inch groups at 100 without fail.

HH 60

Swabbing between shots is completely unacceptable.

That is the core problem. You are self imposing requirements not consistent with traditional muzzle loading shooting. Meaning, with black powder. Many (admittedly, not all) ml'ers regularly swab between each shot. I do, even when hunting. You didn't say what kind of gun you are using. (90 gr. charges are fairly heavy and more powder will equal more crud).
I would suggest, if you don't like the ml game it really is not for you. Modern guns do not present these issues.

All I can say is that I have used Pyrodex and had no difference loading real BP as far as fouling. What are you using for lube? I can shoot all day without any swabbing, and no difference in accuracy.

Still, if you want to use the pyro, it's your choice. I have used it, it does work, but using the right lube will help immensely no matter what one uses for propellant. No need to dis the REAL stuff though. :nono: :haha: :hatsoff:

ApprenticeBuilder said:
Ghettogun said:
Real Black IS the best. No one said it wasn't a little finnicky though :wink:

Yup, all of the components have to come together for an accurate load.
And the most important component is the shooter. Complaining about something because it won't work for you isn't always the definitive answer. :hmm:

Jeez! use 1 load (90 grns) of black powder and ya start complaining about how hard it is to shoot without swabing :shake: If you had the proper load I.E. patch thichness, ball dia. lube amount and powder load you can shoot all day without swabing. I can and do shoot 15+ times without swabing and only swab if I want to. I can do this with either spit or Hoppes#9 plus. Use conicals at your own risk, because they can't wipe the bore clean when you load it so shooting 15+ can be impossible. Plus cleaning or swabing a black powder rifle is a Zen moment for me. In my book a black powder rifle is not made to shoot as fast as a bolt action or semi-auto. I take my time and enjoy being outside the house.

I've never used anything but black powder. In my opinion it's an accuracy powder that will often work when others fail. Even in .357 and .45 Colt handguns that didn't do that well with smokeless loads, bp loads have given the best performance to date.

In MLs I shoot mostly flinters but still use black when I feel like busting a cap. My shooting goals and needs are modest and are more than met by using bp.

Pyrodex is fine for caplocks but not worth a darn if you are shooting a flinter. I shoot mostly flintlocks so I do not use Pyrodex nor any of the other substitutes, just good old black powder. My lube of choice for my patches is straight Ballistol. I get 20 to 25 shots without having to swab my bore. But that is just what works best for me. Everybody ought to use what works best for them.

Sorry guys but i don't shoot balls in this rifle, its going to be this years elk rifle

Its favorite load so far and one that i can shoot without loading issues is 90gr pyrodex rs, lubed wad, 250gr REAL conical.

28" barrel, 50cal, deep groove 1:48 twist.

Its no biggy anyway, Pyrodex is easy for me to get here locally so thats what my plans are.

I have a 54cal renegade i use when i want to shoot patched balls.

some use to much lube and that causes more fowling in ones barrel and some times its the moister in the air i can shooot all day here in the dry desert no issues what so everand i can go shoot in the mid west were its more humidity and i can only get few shots off same gun same jsut more wet air is all i can figure out

Years ago when I first started BP hunting with a .54 percussion I used Pyrodex. But the manufacturer suggested I put a 10 grain kicker charge of real BP ahead of 80gr because Pyrodex didn't ignite as well in very cold temperatures. This was a long time ago so I don't know if PD still has that issue, since at that point I just didn't see any need to continue using it versus straight BP.

You just gave up too soon, that's all. :grin: And good luck on your elk hunt. :thumbsup: Bill

Today i changed 2 things, lowered my charge to 80gr goex 2f, lubed wad, 250gr REAL conicals @ 100 yards. And I started using a little extra lube around the sides of the wads.

Adding that extra lube helped greatly and i felt it take "bite" in the rifling as i pushed the wad down on top of the powder before loading the conical.

3 shot group @ 100 yards with the new sights. "Highest shot thats blacked out was with a patched ball, whoa! She shoots high with PRB now LOL"
Bulls eye is 3" Diameter. Next time i will go back to 90gr and see how she does with those extra lubed wads.
DSCN3401.jpg

DSCN3402.jpg

DSCN3403.jpg

I shoot Goex FFG and a patched roundball. When I first switched to GOEX I too found the fouling to be, perhaps drier and, stiffer to push through. As I experimented with lubes, I found one that worked extremely well and keeps the fouling at bay; no need for much swabbing, if any. Thank you Mr. Stumpy and your Moose Snot....Great stuff. As with anything, the right combination of components makes all the difference.
Honestly, having used Black as well as subs, the biggest reason I prefer black is the color and odor of the smoke. It is just not quite the same with Pyrodex.
On a side note, what ever happened to GOEX Pinnacle (sub)? That was the first stuff I used and I loved it (it seemed to behave very similar to real Black).

Back