• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder or Pyrodex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are five pages on this subject and it only proves three things that being some people are hard headed and some just don't know and others think that if you are different than me you are wrong? I have read post other than these on this subject and they go on and on and on. We are whipping a dead horse.

I'm currently using up a can of 777 that was given to me in a Lyman percussion .54, have plenty of black but figured it's only gun I have that'll shoot it. Have seen no issues with the powder or accuracy. In fact the only issues I'm having is with CCI caps not going off. Seems to be an issue with current stuff, about a 20% failure rate for me in tin I'm working thru. Have a half can of remington caps that I'll save for hunting.
CCI was the only brand available for me back in 1980 & a few years after. I had no problems with them. Without giving a boring personal history, I ventured into re-enacting & musket caps. Years passed, & I returned to a .54 cal GPR — the best I've ever experienced (for me at least), but I'd heard & read that CCI brand had become undependable, so after some research, I tried Vorderlader-Zündhütchen No. 1075. It's all I've used since then & precision is the word for them. I won't be needing to re-supply as I doubt I could exhaust what I have. As for the GPR .54, I've nothing but praise for it. I own two, & they were purchased well-before Pedersoli became involved. Truly enjoyed its classic design.

Thanks to everyone who helped with my question. I know you all like photos, so here’s one of me with 2 rifles I’ve built. One is a CVA Kentucky long rifle, .45 caliber. I built it around 1974 and hunted with it until 2017. The shorter one is a .50 caliber I built late in 2016 and have been hunting with it since. My son & I will both be hunting near the end of this month with similar .50 cal muzzleloaders. Camping out for the hunt, too.

Looks like you are well set for the hunt. Camping and deer hunting! What could be better.

How is the lock holding up on your Kentucky?

Gentlemen
spent yesterday afternoon at the range with two .50 caliber muzzleloaders. One shooting the over 10 year old Pyrodex from a sealed canister. The other shooting black powder over 30 years old. Had several “no fires” from the Pyrodex and shots all over the paper at 50 yards.
in the end, we switched the Pyrodex shooter to black powder. My son had been shooting the Pyrodex which was clumping and after he switched to the BP, he said it had significantly more power. So our afternoon shooting comparison -in our case- proved to us to hunt with BP and leave the pyro at home. This is our experience, not necessarily anyone else’s.

I haven't shot Pyrodex in a muzzleloader in over 20 years. The only experience I have with it was trying some in cartridge guns, and the chronograph told me that I should stick with the Old Eynsford. I was getting standard deviations of 40 fps or more with the Pyrodex, and single digits with the Old E. Not enough velocity difference to write home about. I watch for free Hazmat offerings, shipping can still stink, but I just recently purchased 2# of Swiss to try and 250 caps for $125 delivered. One thing is for certain, old wive's tales die hard.

Gentlemen
spent yesterday afternoon at the range with two .50 caliber muzzleloaders. One shooting the over 10 year old Pyrodex from a sealed canister. The other shooting black powder over 30 years old. Had several “no fires” from the Pyrodex and shots all over the paper at 50 yards.
in the end, we switched the Pyrodex shooter to black powder. My son had been shooting the Pyrodex which was clumping and after he switched to the BP, he said it had significantly more power. So our afternoon shooting comparison -in our case- proved to us to hunt with BP and leave the pyro at home. This is our experience, not necessarily anyone else’s.
I have shot some Pyrodex that has been in a powder horn since 1985. It to got lumpy but I could separate it into granules in my hand. It shot just like the day I opened it up. I don't know what people that are having problems are dong but it isn't the Pyrodex going bad.

I have shot some Pyrodex that has been in a powder horn since 1985. It to got lumpy but I could separate it into granules in my hand. It shot just like the day I opened it up. I don't know what people that are having problems are dong but it isn't the Pyrodex going bad.
Glad you’ve had good experience with Pyro. But, like I mentioned, my experience with the stuff has not been good. It’s possible it’s our environment, maybe more humid, more dry, too much cow manure in the air (we do live in WIsconsin). Who knows?

I have never ever shot a Flintlock rifle. I have shot only percussion rifles. I also have used Pyrodex exclusively for many years starting in the eighties. I wanted to hunt Black powder season and that was the only reason I bought a M.L.R. to start with. I can tell by your rhetoric you are one of those people that do revolutionary war acting or what ever you call it. I do think you are doing a disservive by putting down other powders that you don't like. It is a lot less costly and you don;t give up anything by using synthetic powders.
A message of reason. I’ve just started using the T/C .54 I built from a kit 20 years ago. Montana started a muzzle loader season 2 years ago. I’m using the pyrodex I bought than. Shot a mule deer buck last year. Montana is dry. I store my powder in a cool place. I have a friend that dropped a container of BP. It hit the concret, and exploded as he reached for it. We went through several skin grafts. The negative comments about pyrodex are ………

A message of reason. I’ve just started using the T/C .54 I built from a kit 20 years ago. Montana started a muzzle loader season 2 years ago. I’m using the pyrodex I bought than. Shot a mule deer buck last year. Montana is dry. I store my powder in a cool place. I have a friend that dropped a container of BP. It hit the concret, and exploded as he reached for it. We went through several skin grafts. The negative comments about pyrodex are ………
Sorry, hard to believe. I’ve dropped more cans, horns, flasks, due to my general clumsiness and NOTHING happened. Was your friend smoking at the time?

I have one rifle that is actually most accurate with Pyrodex P, and one that does great with Pyrodex RS. I load the same amount as the best BP load but if the accuracy isn't where I want it, I change amount of powder, try different patching, etc like any other time I work up accuracy.

Hello All,
I‘ve learned black powder is unavailable here in the Green Bay Area of Wisconsin. Retailers only carry Pyrodex and a few have Triple 7. I have less than 1/2 lb. of Goex powder left and was hoping to buy a can for deer season. I do have a pound of unopened Pyrodex that was given to me, but I’ve never shot the stuff. If I resort to using it, what recommendations does anyone have that I should keep in mind? I’ve heard rumors about accuracy. Thanks for any help you can give.
Go on line and buy the BP you want ,SIMPLE!! /Ed

Sadly, @Wisconsin Relic only needs powder for the hunting season and the expense of ordering real black powder online is really quite unreasonable for small quantities. He can get by with Pyrodex or 777. These perform better with the use of a hotter percussion cap and nipples designed to deliver more flame to the powder charge. The substitute powders are designed to replace real black powder on a volume basis. So, use the volume measure to dole out the powder charge. The magnum caps (CCI #11 Magnum or RWS 1075) may be hard to find, but they will produce more flame through the flash channel. Hot Shot, Red Hot or Spitfire nipples should be available. I hope that he seeks out other shooters and can share an order to obtain some real black powder.
Small quantities can be purchased online and unless this is only a one time deal buy online .BP lasts forever and try splitting cost with at least one other BP user in your state/county or town . There's absolutely (NO REASON ) you can't, unless you live on an island ( uninhabited) !/Ed

My friend had a solution. He only uses pyrodex in cheaper guns, like CVA’s and saves his real black for his higher quality guns. I’m afraid it will get even harder to buy shooting supplies as the next election looms on us.

@stikshooter, there is a reason to choose Pyrodex over black powder and that reason is cost. As much as I prefer the use of black powder over any of the substitutes, I can not justify telling @Wisconsin Relic to pay so much more for a pound of black powder than a pound of Pyrodex or Triple 7 when all he needs is enough propellant to meet his needs for the hunting season and he has a percussion rifle not 5 pounds of GOEX, Schuetzen or Swiss powder. The substitutes can put him out in the hunting fields and tide him over until he can find real black powder. Please note: the substitute powder may seem to have a lot less apparent fouling, but that fouling is very corrosive. The good news is that it can be cleaned and the barrel can be protected, but a very thorough cleaning regimen must be followed. Those comments about ruining a barrel after using Pyrodex are relevant when the barrel is not cleaned.

Back