• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

black powder subsitute

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-g willy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone use a black powder subsitute in thier flintlocks?
I tried pyrodex rs but it didn't give as good ignition as real black powder.
--Willy

There are a few other threads going about this already, but, NO, subs don't work well in flinters. You need real BP for consistant ignition.

RATs!! I was hopeing to find one where I could shoot more than 4-5 shots without swabbing the bore.
Oh well, I sorta figgered I'd have to stick with the real stuff.
thanks for the info --Willy

RATs!! I was hopeing to find one where I could shoot more than 4-5 shots without swabbing the bore.
Oh well, I sorta figgered I'd have to stick with the real stuff.
thanks for the info --Willy

You still can if you use low fouling powder and a lube that minimizes fouling and keeps it soft.

As one example, I shoot 40 shot range sessions on the weekends without wiping beteen shots...50-60grn target loads of Goex 3F, with borebutter as bore & patch lube.

If you shoot large powder charges and/or use 2F, you may not be able to go that long...but with target loads of Goex 3F and borebutter, I only wipe the bore when I'm done for the drive home.

PS: Don't know where you're located...but if humidity is unusually, extremely low/dry, you may have to wipe it out once after a couple dozen shots, but normally for me here in central NC it's a whole range session without having to wipe between shots.

If we're just talking about how many shots can be fired before swabbing the bore Triple 7 will work, but you still have to put about 5 grains of black in first to get it to fire and you must reduce the charge accordingly. If it wasn't for that extra step Triple 7 would be our answer.

3FG Black Powder will give you much less fouling than 2FG.

I'm partial to Swiss 3FG , but Goex is good as well and my 2nd choice.

Keeping your loads to low to moderate also reduces fouling with BP and allows for more shooting without swabbing.

I can go 15 with FFg and liberal application of Moose Snot with an 0.015" or 0.018" patch. Maybe it's your lube. Do a search on +Moose +Snot in our forum search. (The recipe if free & it's a home-brew lube).

Ok, I'll try switching to fffg, if that doesn't work I'll give triple 7 a try.
thanks for the info
--Willy

I once tried some Clean Shot powder that I had bought a few years back and didn't use much. I used Goex FFG to prime and put a few grains of that in the barrel as well, then the main charge with the Clean Shot. It seemed to ignite pretty well and was about as accurate as it was when I used the main charge of FFG Goex. It surprised me. I then tried it still using Goex to prime, but using pure Clean Shot in the barrel. It still went off most times, but there were a few hang fires. I came to the conclusion, I could use the alternative powder if I manage to take the other step of "double priming" if you will. I still prefer to use the authentic black powder but in a pinch or if I'm getting low on it, I see where I could shoot the other stuff. Clean Shot powder is now sold as American Pioneer. The rifle I was using was a .58 cal flinter Investarms, marketed by Cabela's.

The manufacturer claims Black Mag 3 :results:will work in a flintlock. It does, but not well. Pyrodex is even worse in a flinter. Goex 3f seems about the best stuff for flintlocks. graybeard

I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this, but I've been using a lubed felt wad over the powder and don't seem to get the fowling I once did and clean up is easier.

Back