• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blackening

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone. What stuff you people use for blackening metal parts when you want to check the fitting on wood? I use a candle but I am always looking for the damn lighter. I think this thing alive and it moves from places to hide by itself...
Candles smoke, I’ve bought inletting black, and that’s handy, but cheap red lipstick is real cheap at Wally World

Hi everyone. What stuff you people use for blackening metal parts when you want to check the fitting on wood? I use a candle but I am always looking for the damn lighter. I think this thing alive and it moves from places to hide by itself...
your lighter must be related to mine.
I use a big diameter, short height candle. set off to the side. let it burn while working.
this is the reason i have no hair on my left arm, but who cares! the smoke works for most stuff but this last barrel at 42 inches took forever to smoke.
i switched back to charcoal powder mixed with olive oil. have never had it interfere with finish and it is really, really black! and transfers well. but it can be messy if you knock over a pint jar full of it on the work space.

I bought a small jar of inletting black in 1979 and my instructor told me to cut it with Vasoline. I’m still have a good bit of it as I use very little on a job. A acid brush to apply it and rubbed very thin. Works on walnut, maple, cherry and any wood. Easy to wash off where needed.
69B57E06-5B49-4D22-866F-F1AC2C1749C1 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Thanks for the advices gentlemen. I forgot to state that I do no want something which is going to interfere if I use aquafortis on a maple stock!
Then don’t use it heavily, transfer black or what ever you use should be just enough to see. It’s called inletting black but it doesn’t actually do any of the inletting! This is how much it takes to see where to cut.
BD12E310-8E5B-48BE-B86A-A8A54392E434 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Back