• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blackhorn 209

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothymattson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone using Blackhorn 209 in there 1858 New Army?
Appreciate any feedback - loads, accuracy, pros or cons, etc.

ok, found my answer.
NO. #11 percussion caps, or musket caps do not have sufficient strength to ignite Blackhorn 209

Yep, Blackthorn 209 was intended for use in the in lines. Best idea, if you have some, is to trade it to someone who has one of those rifles.

I've even heard of terrible results by dumping a small starter charge, though I don't recall what had happened.

I shoot Blackhorn 209 in my ROA but I use nipple adapters that use small rifle primers to ignite it. Duplex loads with 4F and Blackhorn are inconsistent.

Latest posts

Back