• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blackpowder in Canada

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horace

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to go to Canada on moose hunt. How difficult is it to get black powder through the border?

Hmmm interesting question. I've traveled across the border with rifles. I had to declare them at the entry and show them my letter from the outfitter. At the time it was a $50.00 fee.

One of the things I did prior to going to Canada was stop at the US side and show them my guns, electronics and cameras. I filled out a form with the make, model and serial number. The US side stamped the form and I didn't get hassled coming back in. I wonder if this could be done with black powder.

If it were me I'd just arrange to Buy a pound upon arrivial.We buy and shoot BP up here to . :wink:

Mule Skinner said:
I would like to go to Canada on moose hunt. How difficult is it to get black powder through the border?
I agree with Halftail; have your outfitter pick up whatever you want in the way of powder; shoot your moose and then either leave the remainder of the powder with the outfitter or if he's agreeable have yourself a "little shoot" around the camp. Most guides and outfitters would enjoy a chance to shoot one of these old sidelocks :grin: You're only talking about $18-20 dollars (less than 1% of a good moose hunting experience)
Soggy

Been there 5 times in the last 5 years. Not a problem at all. According to their regs, you can take about 17 lbs. of powder with you. They never even asked how much I had along or wanted to see any guns. Just have paperwork filled out (909 form) and declare at border.

What if I wanted to take my custom flintlock through the border? It has no serial number.

That's what I used also-homemade and no numbers :thumbsup: . I had called them years back and they said, "put all known information on the paperwork, leave others blank". Since it's a flintlock (not restricted) and homemade, they didn't care one bit.

I went to Ontario, but would think the form is the same across other Provinces. They are very friendly and helpful on the phone.

blueridger said:
What if I wanted to take my custom flintlock through the border? It has no serial number.

Basically a flintlock isn't even considered a firearm up her.
:wink: Shhhhh please Don't tell em' :wink:

Flint311 said:
Been there 5 times in the last 5 years. Not a problem at all. According to their regs, you can take about 17 lbs. of powder with you. They never even asked how much I had along or wanted to see any guns. Just have paperwork filled out (909 form) and declare at border.

I could legally have 1000lbs of BP home in the barn if I wanted too. :haha:
Aint it grand?

Better save some room for a couple tons of lead! Then pillow ticking.....100 bolts of cloth may do. Any flint lying around? :shocked2:

This guy just rolled into my Driveway..... :wink: .....
BigTruckload.jpg

Back