• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taking a flintlock i to the RSA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Among other things Karamojo bell is famous for killing over 800 elephants with a 275 Rigby aka 7x57.

I’ve got a copy of one of his books and he goes into detail discussing the importance of learning anatomy and shot placement. He also mentions the large bore muzzleloaders that were used prior to modern cartridges and their efficacy.
He also said his Rigby had "Never been polluted by a soft point bullet" meaning full patch Aka solids.

I know we've drifted afar from muzzleloaders. William Finnaghy wrote a very informative book in the mid late 19th century of ivory hunting with muzzleloaders. He spoke of his hunting coat having one pocket full of loose powder and other with large bore hardened round balls. He used handfuls of powder. He hunted mostly from horseback, but he was only concerned with the ivory. Still, a very good read. I encourage anyone wishing to hunt dangerous game with muzzleloaders check it out.

Since you guys have already jumped off the beaten path........I had a weak moment a year or so ago and bought a Rigby .375 HH on auction. Makes me wonder if it could talk what stories it could tell.

Now I have been looking at a Cape Buffalo hunt.....

Fleener

Go ahead an tell me why you can’t put black powder in shell casings?

I have done it on multiple occasions crossing international boundaries. 45-70 cases with a 185 grain 45 ACP bullet each hold 90 grns of 3F.

Carried a muzzleloader and a 45-70 lever gun on the trips.

Tell me again why it won’t work?
Are you talking about sneaking bp into another country for use in a muzzleloader, using the brass cartridges to transport it illegally? If so, there is your answer; it is illegal.

Since you guys have already jumped off the beaten path........I had a weak moment a year or so ago and bought a Rigby .375 HH on auction. Makes me wonder if it could talk what stories it could tell.

Now I have been looking at a Cape Buffalo hunt.....

Fleener
I'll send you a pm

Back