• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bleach finish barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FV Rago

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Question:

When bleach finishing a barrel, do you just wipe it on and let it sit? do you soak it? curious as I plan on doing this to my barrel and hardware.

Any help is greately appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank,
There are several different ways about going about it. I pretty much have stopped using bleach now, but I had some really good effects with using perma blue on the parts and then submerging them in bleach for at most 30 minutes. If you need help I am in Dahlonega.

I just got a length of 1.5" pvc, and a cap just for this operation. First apply cold blue, and while still wet insert barrel into pvc tube. Boil up some bleach outdoors, and pour this into the tube. Let it go for around 5 minutes. Remove and rinse :thumbsup:

This should be a good starting point. I am going to antique a CVA Kentucky that is on my bench.

Make sure all entries into the barrel are plugged well!

Thanks for the info.

I just picked up a GPR 54 perc., the stock is 25 years old and the barrel has just been replaced. I have stripped it down, and fine sanded the blueing off all the metal parts.

I am still debating on what to do for the metal. I'm not much for the deep bluing and I already have one that is deep brown.

I finished one awhile back where all I did was fine steel wool the bluing and it gave it an old look. I would have done the same with this one but I filed off the markings on the barrel.

I have used mayo on knife blades in the past to give them a damascus style look, and am throwing ideas on how to treat this metal.

Thanks,

Frank

Go down 6 posts from this one to the one titled "Barrel and Lock color". On page 2 I have posted a picture of 2 of my pistols, one with mustard finish and one with the bleach finish. Emery

And make sure you don't cap both ends of the PVC tube. It will blow up.

Do it outside. Bad fumes will kill you and the family.

Good luck!

hocuspocus said:
Could someone show a pic of a bleached piece? Is it durable?

133361368.jpg

It is permanent :thumbsup:

Be very careful with bleach. It will "age" steel a hundred years in just a few minutes if you apply it directly to the metal and let it set for a few minutes.
pistol9.jpg

Back