• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blocks, lube, & such like

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Loading blocks & hunting.

At 1st blush I like the idea. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/57/1

I have used one with my .32 rabbit hunting. But I worry that crud (fine sand, dust, etc,) would gather on the patches on a longer hunt. Also my lube works just fine .....for a day, but would, I think need to be dampened each day on a longer hunt.

Do you use one? On hunts longer then a day?
Do you alter your lube when out for more then a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love em. And the smaller the caliber, the more I love them.

I'm using a grease lube, so no problems with them drying out. Heck, sometimes I'll find a block that's been hanging around for 6 months or more, and they're still lubed just fine.

Not really an issue picking up crud and such. I keep mine loose in my bag rather than out and dangling, so they're protected.

BTW- I make all my own. Never seem to have enough of them, or that's my excuse for continuing to make more.

Saw a post on here, could have been an oldie found on a search, about antler style loading blocks as well as some real fancy polished hardwood ones. I have used the cheapies at the range but the ergonomics didn't do much for me.

Make one that fits your hand and holds 3 to 4 rounds. I saw a guy with a nylon type cutting board shaped like a bat that held 13 roundballs for competition shoots. That made a lot of sense.

I plan to make my own out of antler to hold 3 balls for quick loading for hunting. Would be cool to integrate other tools into it such as pick, pan primer, that type of thing, anything but short starter I suppose. That would be very frustrating!

I love them for two reasons.

First, they hold a few rounds with greased patches, making my reload simpler...though they are in no way good for a quick reload and second shot when hunting.

Second, they work very well when explaining to folks who have never seen a patched round ball, when I explain how the patch wraps around the ball and is then inserted into the grooved barrel so the ball will spin when shot. You can see the ball with the edge of the patch on one side, and flip it over and see the patch surrounding the ball on the other side. :wink:

LD

Kapow said:
...integrate other tools into....

Blocks are popular around here, a nod to usual weather conditions and the prevalence of big bears. Neither here nor there, other than the opportunity to see lots of creativity! :rotf:

Guys are always messing around trying to simplify or speed things up, or simply for another excuse to mess around in their shop.

The best combo block I've seen is still simple, but a combo you wouldn't think of until you saw it in use.

The guy cobbled together a 2-shot block with an integrated powder measure. No shuffling and fiddling, just dump the powder, position the ball and start ramming. He has a coned barrel and doesn't even need a short starter. Might sound odd until you see it in action, but I've seen no one come close to his speed in reloading for follow-up shots.

In hunting situations, only thing I use along w/ pre-measured, waxed powder packets.

I use a waxy patch lube which lasts a long time....have used the loaded loading block after having sat around for 3 weeks and encounterd no problems.

The loading block is tethered around my neck w/ a leather shoelace and the block itself is in my vest pocket for easy access along w/ the powder packets. The priming horn is attached to the strap of my possibles bag and is also very handy. Never timed a reload, but it's satisfactory for my needs.

As an aside... waxed powder packets have been used that were 3 years old. The wax really does keep the powder "fresh".....Fred

I saw one on here and blatantly copied one for my own selfish use. It's good for one follow-up shot and holds 70 gr. of 3F and a patched, lubed .440 ball.

I keep 2 690 patched balls in a block for follow up shots. they load fast and easy. this is for my 72 cal trade musket

Hey! That idea had been sprayed with my territorial markings and photocopied for protection. :shocked2:

Oh, well. Lookin' good. :thumbsup:

loader.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Both of those look nice. :thumbsup: I made a junky one out of a small board a few years ago and then lost it. :( But I used a small section of Bicycle tube to seal off the ball to keep it clean. I think I will make one like you guys did and use the tube idea to keep it clean. YES I know I am in BIG trouble for the modern tube but it sure kept it clean. :redface: Larry

Like Brown Bear, I have wasted much time making loading blocks! In the end, the only one I use is a 3 baller for the.54 carried in the shooting bag. Loaded it last September using dry lube patches and shot them last Memorial Day. Trouble free! Have used the same block with grease lube and found the loads to be just fine after many months left in the bag!

Those measure/ball holder are eye grabbers though and look like a fun project!

Rifleman1776 said:
Hey! That idea had been sprayed with my territorial markings and photocopied for protection. :shocked2:

Oh, well. Lookin' good. :thumbsup:

loader.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I am so going to copy that! :bow: and thank you very much :thumbsup:

I think I'll go with the store bought until I see if I like using one.

****My wife came home with a 50 cent wood burner from a garage sale so :idunno: ****

Back