• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blood trails

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravenousfishing

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A couple recent tracking experiences got me thinking. By no means am I an expert, but figured I would post this so new muzzleloader hunters don't make the same mistake I made a couple years ago when I shot at my first muzzleloading deer. Broadside shot in a field at 20 yds, 54 cal Prb with 90gr 2F. Figured a shot like that with that much lead would nock the deer over in its tracks. When the smoke cleared there was no dead deer and I couldn't find any blood. Walked up and down the field edge for 10-15 min looking for blood and gave up. Figured I must have missed. Talked to my friends at the end of the hunt and they said that I definitly should have had blood in that distance, so I gave up and didnt go back looking. However, as I went over and over the shot in my head, I couldn't belive I missed. I posted on this forum and got alot of usefull information that I wished I had BEFORE I went hunting, and that was my fault :redface: I vowed that I wouldn't make that mistake again.
First off, practice enough that you are comfortable with your gun and load and only take shots at game that you KNOW will connect. Second, deer don't usually drop in their tracks. Third, if you think you hit it, you probably did. And last, even with a fatal hit from a large hunk of lead, there may not be any blood for 20-40 yds or more.
Take your time, starting where the deer was standing when you shot and start looking outward from there. If the shot was in the evening and there isn't enough light, go back to your truck and get a Coleman lantern or a high power spotlight BEFORE you go tramping all over everything. Carefully expand your search, looking for blood or other signs that a wounded deer had gone in that direction. Eventually you should find your blood trail and then your deer. Dont give up until you are SURE that you missed. It never ceases to amaze me how far a mortally wounded deer can run. Good hunting.

That's great advice! Don't give up - when you "know" you made a hit. Watch the deer run away (instead of looking for the fast follow-up shot and reloading). Did it look hurt? How did it run? (Extremely fast, painfully, head up/down, etc.) What tree, rock, etc. did it last go near before getting out of sight?

I had something similar earlier this season. I KNEW I couldn't have missed the deer (I found darker brown fur, not any white). It ran hurt. Where I messed up, we had snow and anyone could track that! Right? Not if you follow the wrong tracks! There was only one deer when I shot. The tracks in the field showed another deer ran almost the same way previously. Not expecting blood right away, I followed the wrong set of running deer tracks. Came back to where it was when I shot, I see two running sets of tracks. Followed this and found blood. Then I found some stomach material. This will block a wound channel and it did. I follow the tracks in the snow, confirming I'm on the right animal by seeing blood (or stomach material) only so often. Stay on the trail as long as possible! Due to elevations, I only could watch the deer run a short wasy, then I see the deer dead a little ways away. It only ran about 75-80 yds (still not great), but I stayed on the tracks even when I couldn't see it anymore! It was the shot angle that produced the stomach material, but had shocked the lungs and totally destroyed the liver.

With no snow, I look for thrown-about leaves (broken sticks, etc.), not punched in by a walking deer. "Usually" a deer will run in a relatively straight line, not sharp angles. They all leave some sort of sign and stay on the trail as long as possible. We owe it to the animal we choose to shoot at.

Good hunting and better tracking! Each one is different.

I had a similar experience this november it was my first prb deer had shot one 4yrs ago with a buffalo ballet fell over on the spot shot at 15 feet. This time was in a tree stand shot a deer between the spine and the shoulder blade the distance was less than ten yards i was using 45prb and 70grains. There was hair but no blood but i saw it kick up both back feet always a good sign. got down started looking went twenty five yards nothing so i got back in my stand at lunch time i got back down we followed the tracks through head high grass, 30 yards in blood sprayed out and lung material followed this for twenty yards found the deer it covered 50 yards from where i shot and was 38 yards from my stand. Only one hole high seemed the cavity had to fill with blood before it pushed any out ball did go 3.5 feet and lodged in the hind quarter.

All sound advice when making the change from modern hunting to the old ways, it can be a ways before a bloodtrail shows, A friend of mine uses a thermal image tracker, and has found a few animals when no blood was found.

I always have a few paper towels in my pocket. I put a bit down where the animal was standing and more on the blood trail. More blood less paper. Also good for an infield emergency. (saves on socks) :shocked2: Larry Wv

larry wv said:
I always have a few paper towels in my pocket.
I used toilet paper when bow hunting back in the 80's/90's...kept a roll of it in a ziploc bag in the game vest I used as an equipment vest.

The good thing about about a square of cheap single ply toilet paper is if I didn't pick them all up on the way back out, they'd be gone in no time for nest building, or rain would basically dissolve them, etc

ravenousfishing said:
...even with a fatal hit from a large hunk of lead, there may not be any blood for 20-40 yds or more.
Take your time, starting where the deer was standing when you shot and start looking outward from there.

Learned this from the first bp deer I saw shot, a doe. She was the largest of 3 and they all ran at the shot. From about 50 yds, she was broadside when the .490 ball pushed by 90 grains of 2F reached her. My buddy looked for an hour after he shot and found no blood or hair, no sign of a hit. He concluded that he missed somehow, maybe a flinch, maybe the ball hit a twig on the way. He heard a shot and went back to his spot hoping the deer might double back.

I was headed to meet him a couple hours later for lunch when I found her halfway up the ridge I was approaching him from. She was about 150 yards out from him so I figure she ran about 100 yds with a decent lung hit. No blood that we could find till about 20 yards down the ridge, so she ran a good 70-80 yards without bleeding.

I always mark the spot where the deer is hit and where I saw it last with orange plastic tape, load a followup shot and go slow. You'll usually find a dead deer or a followup shot ahead.
Finnwolf

It really doesn't do much good littering the forest floor with TP unless you both learn something about your deer, AND clean up afterwards.

Hunters are always " losing " the deer they shot because they can't seem to distinguish their deer from other deer that may have passed that way.

One of the ways to distinguish your wounded deer from others is by noting how the deer makes choices when it reaches forks in the trails.

The Eyes of Deer are mounted on the side of their skulls, NOT in front, like your own. You have " Binocular vision" which allows you to see and estimate distance and speed in front of you as you move along. Deer are better able to see movement from a wider field of angle, but they are " one-eyed" when it comes to DEPTH perception- almost none at all. That causes them to have to turn their head slightly to one side or the other to see where they are going. In turning the head, the weight of the head is shifted in the direction in which the head is turned, and that changes the BALANCE of the head and neck as the deer walks, trots or runs. Since all Mammals have Bi-lateral Symmetry, all deer have a dominant side, and a non-dominant side. This corresponds to their feet, and to their eyes, in how they are used when moving. Deer are Indirect Registering Walkers, in that their rear feet step almost completely on the tracks left by their front feet when WALKING. BUT, because of eye dominance, their dominant front foot takes a slightly Longer Stride than the non-dominant foot does, leaving some of the front of the toes on the dominant front foot print or impression showing in front of the impression left by the Rear Foot. Deer that are injuried, or scared, rely on the DOMINANT SIDE Eye to see where they are going as they escape.

ERGO, a Right Eye Dominant Deer is more likely to turn, or take a pathway, to his Right , than to his left, assuming the two trails are on similarly even ground. When I have a deer that consistently turns to the right, I know its a right eye dominant deer. If I come across a Left EYE DOMINANT deer's tracks, that look similar, I can distinguish which track to follow, simply from reading the eye dominance of the deer I am tracking.

If you look back at that trail of TP you decorate the forest with, you should be easily able to see if the deer is moving to its Right, or left, and thereby determine eye dominance.

I once showed a retired Deputy Sheriff how I track deer when I worked to recover a deer wounded by another Retired Deputy on my friend's farm. He also had a couple of Airmen from the local air base, who were Archers, and who hunting his ground in both archery and gun seasons. The two archers were " BLOOD TRAIL Trackers". And they used TP. We found blood fairly quickly, and they were off and running, like the "Hare" laying down those squares of TP.

I stopped to trim twigs off a dead branch lying on the floor, so I could have a tracking stick to use to show Walt about real Visual Tracking of footprints. I took the time to measure the Stride lengths, and notched the stick accordingly, as well as the straddle of the tracks, and the step interval. We looked at all 4 sets of footprints, and I noted the shape and length and width of each of the 8 toes. Then we began. I felt like the Tortoise in the fable, but I knew what I was doing.

It didn't take too long to catch up to the Archers, who were having more and more trouble finding the pinhead size blood specks as they went. But, they were walking all over the deer's Tracks. So, I politely growled at them to keep their big feet off my tracks! I don't think up until then that they had given a thought to where their own feet were landing, and what they might be stepping on. They simply had never been trained to be "Track Conscious", as its called.

It was not too long when we reached a fork in the trail, with a larger, wider trail going off to the left. The Archers were off down that track about 30 feet, and were still looking for blood.

I told Walt to look behind us at the TP trail they had left, clearly showing that the deer was right eye dominant, and was circling slowly to the right. He smiled. I followed the tracks, which took the RIGHT fork in the trail, and within a few seconds noted a spot of blood. I called out to the archers, asking them if they had found any blood over there. They said, " No", so I told them I had a spot of blood where I was. The Archers came running.

As soon as they saw the blood they slapped that Toilet Paper down on it and began looking for the next pinhead size drop of blood. No " thank you";- no " how did you find that blood, when we didn't?";- No stopping to ask me to show them what I was doing and how I was staying on the deer's tracks when they obviously lost them.

They were again walking on my deer tracks, so this time, I growled a little less politely at them to stay off my deer tracks! Within 50 feet, we met another fork in the trail, Again with a wide lane going off to the Left. The Archers went that way, with no more success than they had with the first fork.

Again, the TP trail indicated clearly that the deer was going RIGHT, and, sure enough, I found the next blood, along with the footprints of the deer, on the RIGHT pathway. I called to the Archers again, and they darn near trampled both Walt and me getting to that blood spot with the TP! Even Walt was losing his patience with them.

They finally just abandoned the search and went off to the LEFT again, towards the river, where they had hunted a crossing earlier in the day. They were going to look for his tracks at the crossing, they said.

Walt and I followed the deer's tracks where he worked around a thicket of horse weeds, and then lay down in them. He was there when the Archers were beating the forest floor for him, but far enough away that he sneaked out, and went back the way he came. I lost his tracks when he jumped a cutbank, but he was heading off the property onto a neighbor's property who did not allow deer hunting there. Even Walt could not get permission to go onto the ground to recovered deer shot on his property.

From the blood in the bed, it was clear that the hunter had grazed the lower front of the buck's chest, ( White Chest hairs stuck in some of the dried blood) causing a lot of early bleeding, but the bleeding stopped as soon as he had a chance to rest in that horseweed. He was not limping, nor was he walking with his head down, and his injury did not prevent him from leaping across a cutbank to sneak around us and go back- probably within 50 yds of where we were following his trail, to make his escape. If infections did not kill him that winter, I suspect he survived another year.

The property he went to had lots of Evergreens planted, with Tall grass growing up in and around the trees. It would have been impossible ground to hunt without another half dozen hunters looking and watching for movement under those trees. Tracking would have had to been done on hands and knees, and on your stomach if you followed him under those evergreen trees.

That was my most extensive experience with Blood Trackers, and the use of TP. I had seen TP litter in the woods when hunting before, but did not make the connection that people were actually littering the forest with the stuff to trail deer! :shocked2: :idunno:

Walt made a point, later, when the Archers came into the barn after sundown, to " gripe " at them for littering his woods! The look on their faces was Priceless! :grin: :surrender: :thumbsup:

Walt told me later that he had heard I was a " Tracker", and had always been interested in that subject, but never met anyone who did it. He thanked me for showing him how its done, and commented on how tenacious I was trying to find the tracks after the deer jumped the cut bank, and re-establish the trail. He admitted he would not have seen half of the things I saw, and showed him, if he had tried to do that trailing alone.

I look on blood evidence as "Icing on the Cake". I pay attention to it when I find it, because there is so much information you can learn from blood that has not yet dried out. But, I follow tracks- NOT blood. Blood evidence merely confirms what the tracks are already telling me.

If you are going to insist on following blood drops, instead of tracks, you should know that a walking deer will drop blood about ever 4 feet, plus/minus 6 inches. If you cut a stick, or have a gun long enough to be 4 feet in length, it can help you find that next speck of blood on the trail.

Simply put the stick next to- not on-- the speck of blood you find, note the direction of travel( the speck will often be oblong, with the "tail" pointing the direction from which it came),and let the stick slowly go to the ground, with you bending over at the waist, so that the mark, or end of the stick helps you focus on the ground where the next drop is likely to appear.

This practice will cut down on eye strain, allow you to focus on a lot less area of ground, and help you move along the trail much faster than if you try to follow the blood specks without the stick. :hatsoff:

Paul its my ground and a tiny piece of paper will be gone in short order. And I DON"T LITTER. hard to read prints and scrapes after dark. Easy to shine the light back to look at a few tiny pieces of paper. Litter bug Larry Wv

Larry, don't worry about it. I do the same as you and will continue to do so, when I trail. I really have no concern about the littering aspect either as it is gone, with the next rain. The main objective is to retrieve the game. If I pick all the toliet paper up afterwards, great, if I don't it will be totally gone in short order.

Not to change subject, but I got lost somewhere in the past extremely long post. I almost was going to lay down toliet paper on that post, and should have, as I lost my way.

Much of my groups hunting is done in the evening as the deer are coming to field to feed. Hence, most of my tracking is at night. I like to make the place where the deer was standing at the shot with a battery lantern and then search outward from there using a Coleman lantern and a Q-Beam. Two or three cyalume sticks or small flashlights can be used to mark the trail if sign gets hard to find. This should give enough info to see which direction the deer is heading and how far away you should look for the next sign and you can walk these lights forward on the trail as you go. This way you dont have much to retrieve when done and the lights stand out great in the dark. As for the toilet paper, Im sure it dissolves fine, especially if you use single ply RV or marine TP meant for portable toilets. God knows it wants to fall apart as you use it for what it is meant for.

Dave K said:
Larry, don't worry about it. I do the same as you and will continue to do so, when I trail. I really have no concern about the littering aspect either as it is gone, with the next rain. The main objective is to retrieve the game. If I pick all the toliet paper up afterwards, great, if I don't it will be totally gone in short order.
I am totally against leaving trash in the woods that will be there a long time, but T/P is going to be gone in a short time so I wouldn't worry about it. Things like rubber gutting gloves & plastic shells, etc. are the things that get left all too often.

Dave K said:
Not to change subject, but I got lost somewhere in the past extremely long post. I almost was going to lay down toliet paper on that post, and should have, as I lost my way.
Some people seem to think they need to write a book most times that they post. :shake: I have gotten to the point that I don't even bother to read their post's any more. I just skip past them.
No offence meant, but I just don't like long winded posts.

paulvallandigham said:
The Eyes of Deer are mounted on the side of their skulls, NOT in front, like your own. You have " Binocular vision" which allows you to see and estimate distance and speed in front of you as you move along. Deer are better able to see movement from a wider field of angle, but they are " one-eyed" when it comes to DEPTH perception- almost none at all. That causes them to have to turn their head slightly to one side or the other to see where they are going. In turning the head, the weight of the head is shifted in the direction in which the head is turned, and that changes the BALANCE of the head and neck as the deer walks, trots or runs. Since all Mammals have Bi-lateral Symmetry, all deer have a dominant side, and a non-dominant side. This corresponds to their feet, and to their eyes, in how they are used when moving. Deer are Indirect Registering Walkers, in that their rear feet step almost completely on the tracks left by their front feet when WALKING. BUT, because of eye dominance, their dominant front foot takes a slightly Longer Stride than the non-dominant foot does, leaving some of the front of the toes on the dominant front foot print or impression showing in front of the impression left by the Rear Foot. Deer that are injuried, or scared, rely on the DOMINANT SIDE Eye to see where they are going as they escape.

ERGO, a Right Eye Dominant Deer is more likely to turn, or take a pathway, to his Right , than to his left, assuming the two trails are on similarly even ground. When I have a deer that consistently turns to the right, I know its a right eye dominant deer. If I come across a Left EYE DOMINANT deer's tracks, that look similar, I can distinguish which track to follow, simply from reading the eye dominance of the deer I am tracking.

While I have never asked a deer if it was right or left handed I do know dogs I have trained will tend to favor a side. I don't know if that would be called right or left "handed". Giving an animal those characteristics is sketchy at best but I guess it could be looked at that way to some. That said I am not so sure that being right handed will lead a deer down any certain path. I would tend to think that those choices to take a path or not take a path are led by the deer’s own past experiences in avoiding danger. If the deer took the left path and danger was escaped, that would lead that deer to take that path again to avoid danger.

While deer and other prey species have more distance between their eyes than us predator species do, I can say that deer do not need to turn their heads to see straight in front. In this picture I am posting you can see a deer's skull is not flat on the sides, nor is the eyes mounted on a flat side of the head looking straight away to the sides. In fact you can see that the eye sockets do point somewhat forward, and are wider at the back of the eye socket than the front therefore giving the eyes a more forward view than Paul’s post would lead us to believe. Plus the eyes also move in the sockets to be able to focus on something in front of them.
The only way a deer will not see something in front of it's face with both eyes is if the thing it is looking at is very close like under 12" and on one side of the nose. A look at any mount or skull can prove that. I am not being mean Paul, I just don't believe that your comment was correct. :hmm:
Ron

Skull.jpg

read my story in the "traditional hunting stories" section and even though I looked and looked for my deer and found no blood or body I still keep going over it in my head and keep saying to myself I had to off hit that deer!

But I did look everywhere with a light and we got a blizzard later that evening, I will still go back when the snow melts in the daylight to see if I do find anything which I hope I don't but I have to close the issue in my thoughts by doing it..

everyone I know has basically told me that a .600 smoothie ball @ 25yds on a broadside deer will show alot of reaction if hitif not drop it right there---> but like your experience though I wonder if it really would??

very good advice...

Tajue17 said:
read my story in the "traditional hunting stories" section and even though I looked and looked for my deer and found no blood or body I still keep going over it in my head and keep saying to myself I had to off hit that deer!

But I did look everywhere with a light and we got a blizzard later that evening, I will still go back when the snow melts in the daylight to see if I do find anything which I hope I don't but I have to close the issue in my thoughts by doing it..

everyone I know has basically told me that a .600 smoothie ball @ 25yds on a broadside deer will show alot of reaction if hitif not drop it right there---> but like your experience though I wonder if it really would??

very good advice...

If the deer is alerted to your presence, even with a devastating hit, it may run quite a ways. If hit high, even a double-lung shot may show very little to no blood. The best way to get them to drop in their tracks is to hit them well when they have no idea you are there. No adrenaline, no running! At least that is my experience.

Never assume you didn't get the hit. Get on your hands and knees, turn over leaves, look for scuffs in the dirt, and when all else fails, make a ever-widening spiral starting where the deer was when you shot. Always make an extensive search for any sign, as it may be 25-50 yards before you see anything. I have spent as long as 1-2 hours searching for sign before even entertaining the idea of quitting, and even then I keep looking.....

NO tracking is easy, Dave. Not even blood tracking. Since I have done both, I thought it might be worth while to write HOW the real tracking=-ie., following " Animal Tracks", is done. If you can't be bothered to read my post after all the time I spent writing it, and editing it, its your loss. I am truly sorry about that.

Its always much easier to get people's attention by actually taking them out and showing them HOW TO TRACK, as I showed Walt on that hunt. Only then do you begin to understand that it is DOABLE, if you simply discipline yourself to look, and analyze what you see. Once you learn the correlations between marks in the tracks, and other body parts, or movement, You begin to know Where to look for these things. you also develop a check list in your mind of information You can get from tracks. Once you have that information from a set of tracks, you stop looking for that in the continuing trail, and go on to something else you can learn. The knowledge is cumulative.

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Blood trailing when a deer is fast hemorrhaging from both and entrance and exit wounds like a water bag make of plastic that has been pierced by a bullet, seems like a fairly easy task. It is. Following Blood spots the size of pin heads IS NOT EASY.

A slow moving( walking) whitetail deer will leave tracks ever 18-21 inches, or two complete sets of tracks within that 4 foot interval between specks of blood. He can turn and change directions, change speed of his gait, etc. within that short distance. If he changes walking speed, or direction it all shows up in the TRACK IMPRESSIONS. But you won't find that next speck of blood, IF YOU DON'T READ THE TRACKS.

I wrote that post, after several thoughts about not commenting at all, simply because I thought My years of experience doing this, and teaching people to track, and showing them how to do it, and writing articles about it might help folks on this forum do a better job of tracking. I hoped to reduce the anxiety level for members when they have to find a wounded deer that is now out of sight.

Because I read TRACK IMPRESSIONS, and "Sign", blood drops tell me reams of information that "Blood Trackers" never even think about. I don't ignore the blood evidence when I am tracking. Its Not a case of doing one or the other.

No one is a horrible person because they learned to blood track. :shocked2: :nono: They just need to take any opportunity that passes their way to learn about visual tracking of Track Impressions and "sign". :hmm: :v The more they learn the more success they will have " Blood tracking." :grin:

As for giving people a hard time about the TP, I took my cue from Walt- it was his property, after all. If its your ground, and you like using TP, don't let me stop you. More power to you. It certain helps hold moisture in the soil.

Around here, Farmers like neat looking farms. They mow their roadside ditches, For Gosh Sakes. They pick up trash in the spring that has blow into their tree lines, and woods over the Winter storms. One of the best ways to get permission to hunt someone's ground is by offering to go out and pick up trash for them in the Spring.

We have mostly Row-Crop Farming here- Corn and Soybeans. Once in awhile, someone has a field of Winter Wheat. Wooded areas exist Only along waterways. There are parts of the county where you can look as far as you can see and not see a tree line. That allows a lot of trash to travel long distances before landing along someone's woods. :hmm:

My apologies to all the members here who were offended by the length of my post on tracking. Happy New Year to you all.

Paul, as usual, I forget that you know it all. I should know that by now as I have been in a sense told that more than once. In my little area of Ohio, I get called upon to assist in tracking. As you know, the more you track the better you become and the more that people know, you can track. Usually the worst person in the world to track wounded game, is the person who actually shot the animal. They are way to cranked up to use all their senses. I don't do well, tracking my own wounded game. But, do I find every animal I track or assist in tracking? No, far from it. Many deer at not hit where the shooter thought. Sometimes things just happen and they are lost. But not to use every tool in your arsenal to prevent loss, is criminal. If that means using TP, to prevent the loss of game, by all means PLEASE us it and don't be the expert, you think you aren't.

You MUST, use blood trailing along with foot prints, hair, shuffled leaves, broken twigs and vice versa. You may be following the wrong prints, unless you can confirm something to go with it. It may take many, many yards, but you have to look for positive evidence that you are tracking the wounded animal. In farm country under dry conditions, you can have hoof area of the deer bleed slightly because of bean stubble. If it is crusty snow, you can have blood in the trail because of injury from the ice or crust.But, that does not mean it is the deer you are seeking. If you are really so convinced that the foot print you are on, is the game that is wounded, that is great. Just don't permit others in your group to damage other trailing signs just because you know you are right, but have no proof. You don't know everything for certain, until have the animal in your hands. I have heard all the stories about deer always do this or that, but the truth is they are animals. Some are thinkers and some are doers, just like people and at the end of the trail lays the answers.

I have no idea what brand of TP you use, but many times even a good dew will damage the paper. It rained here yesterday, if there was any TP out there before the rain, it is gone now. We are not talking about unrolling the paper as we go, we are talking about placing a square or two. I own farm ground, 360 acres of it. I am in farm country in an area that has a reputation for neat and orderly farms. I do take offense and seriously about the meaning of using TP as way to assist in retrieving game as littering and not as irresponsible sportsmanship, when required. I also take serious offense to hunters that leave their game to rot in the woods. I can show you one right now, that was left to rot after a gut shot. Maybe if they had used TP, the deer would have been tagged and not smelling up my farm. The hunter was not hunting on our farm, the deer came from another farm. If he had tracked the deer and used all manners of responsible trailing along with TP, the TP would be gone by now, the rotting will continue for months yet.

Paul, just maybe, someone maybe as smart or other experience than you. But, this is the way I was taught and this is the way I teach and I have for years. NO ONE in my country has implied about using TP as wrong and most if not all magazine articles will tell you about it's use. If your TP, leaves a trail that doesn't "melt" in the first rain, you need to find a brand that is not so harsh on your derriere. Also, if nature calls while in the woods, please remove all the TP you have used, along with any other "articles" that were deposited.

If you are hunting on ground where the owner doesn't want you to use TP, just be courteous enough to pick it all up. It is his ground, you are his guest. But I would be one very irrate land owner if you left game, to rot on my ground as well. This should not be a problem to pick up the TP. After all the trail you are marking is so you can see the pattern better by seeing the paper. PICK IT UP!

12-06-09deerfound.jpg

I am still upset by this rotting on my farm. Maybe if the hunter would have used all the tools available to him, this wouldn't have happened. I found this deer on the 2nd day of the gun season. If you look you can see the gut shot wound near the hip. I find one like this about every year now. This is one of the things that upsets a landowner, hunters and non hunters. Not a little TP that melts in the first rain. I changed batteries in my camera and the date is wrong. This picture is Dec.1, 2009 a Tues.

Dave: YOu apparently don't read English any better than you read tracks! All this, after I wrote a response to your last tirade- about TP? I specifically encouraged you to use it, if that is what you needed to do. I don't. That doesn't mean I KNOW IT ALL. I don't. I never claim I did, or do. I have been tracking for 55 years, and have studied with expert trackers, done primary research, written articles on it, Taught it, lectured on tracking to police recruits, and carry on consults by email with people throughout the USA and several other countries. I still learn something every time I read tracks. I will be sorely disappointed if a day arrives that I don't learn something new. Many years ago, I was showing a police sergeant some tracks in snow, and saw something in the tracks I knew I had seen before, but could not then remember When it was. It took a couple of weeks thinking about it, and it came to me that I had seen similar snow tracks as a kid, more than 35 years before. I thought I was losing my mind for those 2 weeks, but when I realized I could recall something that I saw that long ago when it involves tracks, THAT was spooky!

From what you have written, Dave, I can teach you some things about tracking that would be very useful for you. But, you have your dander up over nothing, and I suspect you have no interest in learning anything from me. Please, you have a better day, now. :(

Around here, Farmers like neat looking farms. They mow their roadside ditches, For Gosh Sakes. They pick up trash in the spring that has blow into their tree lines, and woods over the Winter storms. One of the best ways to get permission to hunt someone's ground is by offering to go out and pick up trash for them in the Spring.

We have mostly Row-Crop Farming here- Corn and Soybeans. Once in awhile, someone has a field of Winter Wheat. Wooded areas exist Only along waterways. There are parts of the county where you can look as far as you can see and not see a tree line. That allows a lot of trash to travel long distances before landing along someone's woods.[/
quote]

I can read this, isn't it in English? I certainly read it as referring to trash that you feel trackers using TP leave, but won't find, because it is gone. You were also referring to those that use it as being slobs.

One thing you are right in, I am always looking to learn and I do everytime I am in the woods or with those that have been there and done that. The key to getting a good education, is having a good teacher that can teach. I did a google looking for your articles, they are hard to find..... I have no articles on it, I just do it. Necessity is the mother of invention, so I do it, when I need to do it.

Good Day...

Latest posts

Back