• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blueing a pistol barrell

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just had a Patriot barrel professionally blued. It came out excellent. I did the lion's share of the prep work. It cost $350 for the blueing service. I am curious if you guys think this price is crazy or the going price. I had a rifle barrell blued 20 years ago and I think it cost about $125.

I just had a Patriot barrel professionally blued. It came out excellent. I did the lion's share of the prep work. It cost $350 for the blueing service. I am curious if you guys think this price is crazy or the going price. I had a rifle barrell blued 20 years ago and I think it cost about $125.
Probably costs a few bucks in material to rust blue a gun or barrel, plus it is a much tougher bluing. Most of the ‘time’ involved in the process is waiting for the rusting process to occur. Also need a heat source to boil water or create steam.

I know labor cost are up and also it cost money to run a gunsmithing business, but that price is a bit much. Years ago I had a shotgun barrel hot blued and it cost me $35 - I did all the polishing work. About 12 years ago I had a 1911 frame & slide hot blued and it cost me $75 - they did the prep work except for the sanding to 600 grit.

That price is crazy. You could have done it yourself for the cost of some elbow grease, time, patience and less than $25 or so in materials. Sorry. :(

Was that rust blued or hot salts?

53zbug.jpg

Just ribbing you, but that price is insane even if they did the prep work. What would a new barrel or whole new gun cost compared to what you paid ? Was it rust blue or modern hot blued ?

I think that price is absolutely insane to be frankly honest.

You could have done a beautiful (and more traditional) slow rust bluing job yourself for about $20 in materials and minimal effort.

You got took, pard. Don't feel too discouraged, though. It happens to the best of us sometimes!

Competent gunsmiths are overwhelmed with work and can get away with charging whatever they want, sometime done mainly to turn away unwanted business, IMO. Couple years ago I waited six months for my gunsmith to thread a barrel that was kind of a tricky job, and based on his comments about the job I think he regretted taking it, and only did so because I was a frequent transfer customer.

The actual process of hot blue is not something that is costly - it's the hand prep work that cost. A lot depends on the price of labor at that location that has the most influence on the price and how greedy the gunsmith is. There are not as many gunsmiths now as there use to be so they can charge what they want - you don't want to pay their price - they tell you to go find someone else. It's that simple.

Latest posts

Back