• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

blueridgelock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it's basically a Pedersoli Frontier with a different name stamped on it. They're available both from Pedersoli parts sources and from L&R. No experience with the L&R, but it's supposed to be better. I've been happy with the lock on my Frontier, but it's showing its age. When I last looked the L&R was quite a bit cheaper.

wahkahchim said:
How do you like that swoopy doopy stock on that gun? I've always wondered.

It could be an inch longer for my LOP, but the stock works really well for me since I tend to shoot with my head fairly upright. The comb hits me in just the right spot without getting up near my cheakbone, too. I have several custom Tennessee or southern rifles (depending on who's tagging them) and they're much the same. One is a fairly light 62 cal, and it will flat ring your bell with hot loads if you put the butt on your shoulder rather than your arm, but it still doesn't whack my cheekbone. All of them are very easy for me to shoot well.

I have a "carbine" version of the Frontier too (50 cal capper), and it's noticeably less muzzleheavy but still is very easy to shoot well. Guess you could say I'm a fan of swoopy doopy.

So am I! The Tulle fusil du chasse or the club butt stocks work great for me but the straighter muskets such as the Charleville 1777 feel very unnatural. So "swoopy doopy" is where it's at.

I have had a similar rifle and a fusil with the Roman nose swoopydoopy stock and find them much more comfortable than the TC type more modern architecture, for me this style puts my eye to the sights more quickly/naturaly if the gun is fitted properly which is an important issue with any style of architecure, straighter stocks with more drop have wlso worked quite well, I believe it is all in the fit of a particular gun which is a manure shoot with any over the counter product but many find these to be close enough to work well.

tg
What you say makes more sense as I have always found 'most' modern guns to not have near enough drop to point naturally for me.The best 'pointing' modern gun I have found is a Remington 870 Wingmaster [esp. the older ones].
Macon

Yeah the TC and similar style guns were kind of a mix twixt the some style and some new, when I put a nice low period set of sights on one it beat up my cheek bone, the mix of old and new was mentioned to some degree as being a gun for the hunter in an interview years ago with Mr T or C, I do not recall which, the lack of drop is even evident if compared to most of the "California" guns that I have seen pics of and many of those had "fish bellies" in the buttstock, many do find the more modern architecture to work quite well though

Back