• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bluing Water Soluble?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimKim

32 Cal
Reaction score
I got in a brand new Pietta '51 in 44. I shot seven rounds. I came in and washed the barrel and cyl with Dawn and hot water from my coffee maker. I let it soak. Somehow it removed the bluing. I'm shocked, to say the least. I used this same method to clean the last one. This NEVER happened. What should I order to re-blue it? I no longer have my tanks, but I should be able to fit the parts in a big pot. The picture was taken before shooting and cleaning. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20210311_212205.jpg
    20210311_212205.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 104
I use Dawn and hot water to clean all my black powder guns and have never had a problem. Did you by chance use another brand rather than Dawn? A friend used a cleaning product he found at Walmart to clean the cylinder of his Remington and it removed all the bluing but that was 30 years ago and I don't remember what it was.

Something is fishy here :rolleyes:---- how come there are no pictures of the "after cleaning" only a "before cleaning" :dunno: ???

I had just cleaned the coffee maker. It may have had vinegar in it. I haven't blued or parkerized anything since about '93. What do y'all recommend? I looked on Brownell's and they have a lot more to choose from now.

Last edited:
I had just cleaned the coffee maker. It may have had vinegar in it. I haven't blued or parkerized anything since about '93. What do y'all recommend? I looked on Brownell's and they have a lot more to choose from now.
If you didn't run a couple of pots of clean water through the coffee machine after cleaning it with vinegar then that was your problem. There was enough vinegar left behind to remove the finish.

I've had pretty good success with Brownell's Oxpho-Blue together with Oxpho-Blue creme.

Back in the 90's Oxpho Blue was one of my favorites for touch ups. I hadn't thought about an ammo can. Thanks!!!!

I was looking for some pictures of my ammo can bluing system in action, doing a hot blue on some handguns, but I couldn't find the pics. I'll post them if I can find them.

Brownell's Oxpho-Blue is very good. I think I would put Birchwood Casey Perma Blue as a second choice for bluing the damaged areas on the barrel.
It will take several coats of either one to get a uniform looking finish.

Also remember, it is absolutely necessary to remove ALL of the oils and wax that are on the surfaces to be blued. This includes wearing rubber gloves so the oil in your skin doesn't contaminate the steel.

Back