• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bobcat 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Examine the nipple.
If the top of it looks like it is bulged or mushroomed, someone probably has been dry firing the gun without realizing that beats the H out of the nipple.

If it is mushroomed the bulge can be removed with a good fine toothed metal cutting file or a whet stone.

If the nipple cone looks smooth without any deformaties check the size of the caps you are using. If they are #10, they are the wrong size.
If they are #11, the cone on the nipple is probably too large. It can be gently filed down a bit by chucking the nipple body in a electric drill. It doesn't take much material removal to make a big difference so go slowly with this.

Another thing that can cause the type of trouble you mention is if the lock is unoiled.
It's amazing the number of locks that have not been oiled sense the gun left the factory.

Remove the lock and give the inner parts a good shot of oil and then give the gun another try.

Sorry I forgot to write that yes the cap would not fire and could any onyone tell me were I can get a wooden stock for it.

Oh one thing I did to mine. filled the hollow butt end of the gun with some lead and rags to help the balance. Cheaper than a wood stock. Someone on the forums here really dolled up a bobcat with a wood stock and boy it looked good. You will not find a drop in stock for it unless on ebay. But you can build one for it.

Swamp rat is right about the lead in the stock. I did it to my Mountain Stalker.

As for a wooden stock...
A CVA Frontier rifle stock or a CVA mountain Stalker stock will fit that barrel. Both are rather hard to find and a bit over priced for what they are when they do show up. The Frontier rifle stocks I have seen were all a laminated wood that looks pretty cool. The mountain stalker wood stock is a basic no frills simple wood stock. However, most Mountain Stalkers were stocked with the same plastic stock your bobcat has, so finding the wooden ones can be a chore.
Still waiting for one to come by at the right time. (that would be when I have cash on hand :wink: )

I got a mountain stalker with the black plastic stock for a present. I restocked it and had a lot of fun in the process. I think I learned a lot while doing it- I waited until I could get a good deal ($30) on a 2 1/4" thick maple blank- put cast in the stock, inlet the barrel, made the ramrod groove, drilled ramrod hole, etc.
I did a full stock because there is a dovetail on the bottom of the barrel for the front ramrod pipe. On the full stock that dovetail received a tenon and I made a tiny front wedge.
I made the nose cap, wedges, wedge plates, side plate, etc. Did some fake striping on the stock, checkered the wrist (skip line)
The trigger is not a set trigger and it is heavy so on the restock I made my own trigger and pinned it in the wood stock and very high to create a really light trigger pull. Almost as good as a set trigger and fool proof.
I have an "odd ball" 1:38 twist. So, I have a back up rifle that looks fairly pc and can shoot short conicals well. If I go on an elk hunt, etc- I'll take it along as a back up rifle.
IAE- those cheap rifles- I think they make excellent practice pieces. I did mine with the idea the skills I acquired could then be used on a more expensive project.

Saw a Bobcat for 75 bucks the other day and thought about getting it to use this year if my barrel reboaring does not get done in time. Have thought of doing the same thing with it if I do get it. Would love to see some pics of your gun.
Tom

Back