• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bob's rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This whole story is very heartwarming. You were meant to have that rifle.

The flintlock I use now was built by one of my best friends, now departed. He is with me every time I take up that rifle.

I just noticed...is that a vent pick under the cheek piece? And is the muzzle coned?

Very touching story and glad you were able to buy it since it has so much meaning for you. I too bought a gun last October that belonged to a good friend who had passed away. It was even more special since my grandson who is 9 used it to kill a 4 pt. opening day of our buck season. Very special day. Thanks for sharing your story and find. Dan.

That's awesome, Dan.
I'm glad that you got to buy your friend's gun too. And that you already have good memories on both ends of your story. :thumbsup:

Jethro, might I suggest that you write down all the details of the history of that magnificent old gun, names, dates, relationships with the owner, everything you think might be important, and put it up somewhere for future reference. Maybe print it out on a 3x5 and laminate it and drop it in the gun safe. Unfortunately for me, the farther I get from those type incidents, the less I remember the fine details. Might be nice to have it written down while fresh.

Doc

Hi Jethro, I have not forgotten about your post and will try and get you Mike Meese's contact info. It may not be until mid March when the Kalamazoo show comes around. I have been known to write down a rifle's story and place it in the patchbox of said rifle. It is surprising to read what I wrote several years later, as it brings back forgotten memories!

will try and get you Mike Meese's contact info. It may not be until mid March when the Kalamazoo show comes around.

Thank you. That would be great. :hatsoff:

Congrats on the new rifle :thumbsup: Sorry that it came with such a price tag . I'm sure your range buddy would be proud that it ended up in your hands . May it serve you well. :hatsoff:

The Illini Muzzleloaders had their first rifle shoot of the season Sunday. I shot the whole program with Bob's rifle. First time I have fired it since I got it. No sighters, no practice, just threw in my go-to load and shot. She's a shooter! I did pretty darn good.

When I pulled the cased rifle out of my Jeep I told Tom (the club leader) that Bob and me were teaming up on 'em this time. He got a big smile on and had to hold the rifle and look 'er over good right away.

I set up next to John, a newer member that didn't know Bob, and told him a condensed version of the story. Told him this would be the first time I'd shot it since getting it and I was gonna use it for the whole shoot. He kinda shook his head and said I was braver than him. :haha:

First shot drilled the center. 4 out of 5 were in the 9 ring or better, pulled one out to the 7 ring at 3 o'clock...
When I turned in the first target Tom said "Bob would be proud of that target".

All the rest of the targets we shot were pretty decent for me too. I was really happy with my scores and with Bob's rifle. Only got one klatch and 2 flash-in-the-pans and they were all my fault for not wiping stuff down.
The rifle fits me well, triggers are good, holds real steady, goes off fast. I couldn't be happier unless Bob was still there shooting it beside me instead of me shooting it.

Won't know if I won until the next newsletter comes out with the scores in it, but I suspect I mighta.

Bravo Jethro!

We really appreciate you posting this update on Bob's rifle!

The whole story from beginning to end was such a beautiful and touching story. Topics come and they go, but this one stays with you!

Providence had a hand in you getting that rifle "Bob". If the forum had an Academy Awards for best topic. You and Bob's rifle would be my pick!

I hope you don't mind me sharing this, but coming real soon, I will be having the privilege of getting to shoot Bob's rifle for the first time. It will be the first time I ever shot a flintlock before. What makes this extra special, is that it will be Bob's rifle! Something I will never forget as long as I live.

I am also glad to hear that you did so well with it today! Have fingers crossed on both hands that you won! No doubt that you shot extremely well. As if Bob was guiding those hits in.

This topic was placed in my " Favorite Topics " area when it was first created. I go back to it from time to time when I want to feel good. It is a feel good story with the best possible ending.

Good Luck Jethro, I hope you win! :thumbsup:

Respectfully, Cowboy :hatsoff:

Wow, amazing story. A great friend and a great rifle.

muzzleloader magazine Feb 2003:

Contact Mike Meese at:
899 St. Joe Rd
Burr Oak, MI 49030
phone number: 616-489-5363

Jethro224 said:
Bob would love it if your first shot with a flintlock was from his rifle. :thumbsup:
Well we have an update!

Yesterday, Jethro graciously came down to Oakwood and we did some shooting at the club I belong to.

Yes, he brought Bob's rifle! I wanted my first shot from a flintlock to be from this rifle.

The picture's posted in this topic are great and it sure is beautiful, but to actually see it in person was amazing! The best part was that I was going to finally have my first shot ever from a flintlock, and best yet, from this rifle!

Bought my first flintlock 2 or 3 weeks ago but have been waiting to shoot Bob's Rifle first!

Jethro loaded it up for me and gave me the run down on shooting flintlocks.

He also gave me good instruction on shooting from a standing position unsupported. Because of my disabilities I have been shooting with sticks and from a kneeling position. Been shooting this way for the last 8 years. I was worried about holding the gun steady without while standing.

To my surprise, I couldn't believe how steady I could hold Bob's rifle. That swamped barrel is unbelievable! Never held a rifle up that was so well balanced as this one. It definitely helped with Jethro's instruction and tips too!

He told me to fire when I was ready. I was standing and flinching at the same time, even before I pulled the trigger! I was so nervous about shooting a flinter.

I pulled the trigger and NOTHING! Forgot to cock it! :haha: Cocked it back and then BOOM! A feeling and experience that I will never forget.

Next, It was time to shoot my own!

I had the time of my life and learned so much! I'm very fortunate to have had Jethro with me to show me the ropes!

I will never forget that day and with Bob's Rifle!

Thanks Jethro!

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

My little flinter!

Bob would have been real happy to have you fire your first shot from a flintlock with his rifle. And once you got over that first initial excited nervousness you did just fine. I knew you would. :thumbsup:
It was nice to finally meet you in person and do some shootin' and jaw flappin'. It was well worth the drive down to your range. Hope to get together again soon at the next Leroy shoot.

Back