• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bone bending

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezoar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
ive been reading that bone and horn can be bent by heating it in hot waterl Nothing says how hot or how long it needs to be soaked in. So if anyone has experience in say heating up a deers rib bone and flattening it out, id be most happy for any input.

Everything in this sport is an experiment.I have heard that boiling in water was one way and soaking in vineger was another. I have soften ivory with vineger and applyed it to a wheel lock
pistol I was making but it wasn't easy..We are trying to do in one attempt what the masters spent
generations working at the trade accomplished in a
life time,,including apprentisceships which lasted
as long or longer than 12/15 years..

I was boiling deer meat from ribs Sunday and the bones were not pliable from a slight boil.

CS

vineger for bone about 3 days
boiling water for horns about 10min depends on thickness.
Also you can heat horn in oven I have read but wife might not like it....smell

Vinegar will dissolve some calcium out. It might make it weak when dried. I know it'll turn an eggshell almost rubbery too. Experiment first.

boil hard for 30 minutes per 1/8" thickness (not ahard and fast rule, but the thicker the piece the longer it takes), and it will stay soft for about an 45 min to an hour, but will be very hot initially, and still be workable with knives for about 2 hours, after that its back to rasps.

wear a mask when working with dry bone or horn

Back