• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'Bone Hardening' your ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is amazing what I learn here from you all. So I was piddling in my gun shed today and this thread came to mind. I went and grabbed a set of antlers from the bone bucket and sawed one off and went to town on a T/C Renegade ram rod. Now I had already sanded this thing to 500 but the burnishing with the antler gave the wood a whole new super smooth and and hard texture. I was amazed. About the time I finished the ram rod, the stain dried on a grip I'm doing for a Stainless unmentionable and another post from this thread came to mind. So I went to town on one side of it. Again I was taken back by the result. I took a pic of the side I burnished and the side that was just the stain dried. Again this grip was sanded to 500 then whiskered 3 times. This is simply amazing to me. My only question is, now that I've burnished this grip and smashed and closed the pores so to speak, will it still take some oil to finish?
KIMG0869-01-BURST1000869-COVER.jpg
KIMG0871-02-BURST1000871.jpg

‘’So I was piddling in my gun shed today and this thread came to. . .’’
I do hope that the meaning is a bit different to the common meaning in Australia 😀😀.

Back