• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

boning a stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick Pugh

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been refinishing a Hawken flintlock and tried boning the stock and I am happy with the result. My question is there another step, should I coat it with something or leave it as is?

yellowhammer

I'm familiar with "boning." I do that myself to close the pores of the wood before applying a finish. Normally I use TRU-OIL, applied in several light coats. It does a nice job of filling, sealing and dries faster than straight linseed.

Question for you, have you removed "whiskers?" Before boning?

You may want to go over the stock with a sponge dampened with rubbing alcohol or water. Then use steel wool or fine sand paper to remove the whiskers. This step usually needs to be done several times. Usually this is done before boning but if you haven't, do it and then go back over the stock with the bone before applying the finish.

Thanks that was exactly what I needed to know. I will go back over it with water then bone it again.

Yellowhammer :grin:

I would not use sandpaper to remove the whiskers, but scrapers instead. I think they do a better job, and you don't have fine scratches to deal with after you stain the stock! You should ' whisker" the wood before boning, IMHO, and then it is ready for stain, and finish. I too like Tru Oil, for the same reasons.

I agree, the only sandpaper I use at this point is some 400 wet and dry, and not new at that. Prefer to use a piece that has the sharpness knocked off. I've never used a scraper but do use steel wool too. I'll try the scraper next time.

Latest posts

Back