• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Book question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddB

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for a good book on building a flintlock. I have pretty much decided between a Lancaster, York or Bedford Rifle. Would Recreating the American Longrifle be a good book to get thats not rifle specific.

Yeah, thers lots of good info in there. It pretty much covers everything except lock & barrel making.

It is a good book. IMHO Peter Alexanders book is the best. It has most of what is in "Recreating" plus a lot more and more detail. I have both however if I were doing it over I would just buy Peter's book. I also liked the Hershel House video which exposes you to additional techniques and methods.

I saw that book and I guess the name threw me off. I was figuring it dealt with a specific rifle. I will order that. Track has it and I might get some inlays to practice on with a peice of wood at the same time. I saw a few places with the second DVD but can't find the first. Any good places you can recommend to get it.

Dixon's The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle is also an excellent reference for anyone interested in building a muzzleloading rifle, even if it is not a Pennsylvania Longrifle.

I started w/ the old edition of Buchele's "Recreating...." and then bought the new edition. What I like about either edition is that it spells out the order of procedure to build a scratch MLer, while Dixon's book doesn't specifically do that. Dixon's book has a lot of info and covers some stuff that Buchele's doesn't, but for a beginner the order of procedure is very important. Don't have Alexander's book but it must be excellent judging from all the compliments and it probably has a specific order of procedure.....Fred

Back