• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

books for girls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhy3

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Boy Scout Venture Crew with 5 girls. They are trying to develope their personas and I am trying to find books that will not only give them an insite to the F&I wars but also what it was like to be a woman

Mary Jamieson's captivity (not the title but the subject matter) comes to mind. There's another true story of a young 14 year old French girl, Marie-Madeleine Jarret de Vercheres, who had bigger cajones than the soldiers and along with her younger brother kept a fort safe while the natives were besieging it. While the cowardly soldiers wanted to capitulate, she forbid it and stood guard and fired her musket whenever opportunity presented itself. She would then exchange it for a fresh one loaded by her brother. She saved the fort and received a medal or award from the French Governor. I read that in Bob Bearor's, "Leading by Example, Vol. II."

rhy3 said:
I have a Boy Scout Venture Crew with 5 girls. They are trying to develope their personas and I am trying to find books that will not only give them an insite to the F&I wars but also what it was like to be a woman
Hey Rhy3:
Check out Janie panagopoulos. She writes historical fiction for kids. she's probably most famous for Traders in Time but she's done many more titles since I've last spoken with her.
Here's her website: click here
another book is The young Voyageur, by Dirk Gringhuis, he also did a sketchbook on Michilimackinac for kids.
good luck in you search.

One more thing: Check out the Felicity series. Click here The colonial book was just made into a movie, and aired a few weeks back.

Muzzla Blasts had a couple of articles lately that fearured frounteer women. I don't have it in front of me but I'm sure source documents are listed at the end of the article.

Wasn't there a Zane gal at Fort Wheeling who made a dash for powder? Anybody know if there's any books about her for girls (children)?

When I was a girl I read the abridged versions of Zane Grey's Betty Zane, Spirit of the Border, and The Last Trail. Betty Zane ran with the powder. Lewis Wetzel is one of the main characters in the three books. They are a little harder reading in the original but still very interesting and enjoyable.

Back