• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Boot Pistols?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have recently become fascinated with the American underhammer percussion guns of the early 19th C.

But what were these guns actually meant for? I have read they were dueling pistols. I have read they were for hunting small game. I have read they were meant for concealment in a boot, hence the name.

It seems most were of small caliber, in the .28 to .34 range. That seems pretty small for a decently sized non-derringer gun. To me, that points to possible hunting use.

I’ve read so many conflicting reports on these guns and what their primary purpose was.

Thoughts?

Back then, nobody wanted to get shot. With no modern medical care, even a small wound could be a death sentence, and a slow one. So I think a small caliber pistol may have sufficed for every day carry in civilization. But most were packed around the farm for a chance at a rabbit or squirrel.

Dueling was pretty much passe, even outlawed, by the time these came along. They were general use pistols for hunting and defense with some being made as target guns. Reliable and simple to manufacturer and maintain they were quite popular in the northeast.

Back