• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore brushing.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bunch of old Mountain State Muzzleloading brushes (designed for muzzleloaders) on hand. Those who never brushed their barrels would be surprised at the amount of black fouling pulled from a barrel after brushing a barrel that has been "clean" patched.

I prefer the nylon bristle brushes but have and do use bronze brushes on a dirty or rough bore. I always use the type that lock the brush to the treaded end.

With anything in life its a "no risk , no reward" situation. If the proper brushes , proper rod, and proper method are used, the risk of a stuck brush is very low. Most issues are from using the wrong brush, wrong rod, or wrong method. I'll add that 99% of the time , if a brush dies get stuck they're are ways to easily and safely remove it.

I didn’t know what forum to drop this in. I take it we don’t have a cleaning forum separate. I read about how to use the water cleaning method with jag and patch. But I haven’t really read about how often people use a bore brush. Also shooting round ball lead , do these rifles get a lead build up with the need to scrub it out ? Thanks WarDawg
I would never use a brush unless I could push it all the way through the barrel and no lead doesn't touch the barrel the patch does unless you are using conicals.

Latest posts

Back