• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore light

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bountyhunter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up one of the little brass bore lights a while back. Now the batteries have run out. I searched for a while to find batteries at less than the cost of the light, and now that I finally found #392 batteries at less than $4.50 each, I cant get them to light the light.

Anyone have this experience? Do they have to have the little plastic sleeve on them? Anybody else run into this? How did you solve this?

Bill

get a small piece of stainless rod a little smaller than bore size. polish one end mirror bright , drop down bore and use any kind of small light,shine down the bore . the reflection from this is much better than one of the bore lights and you have no batteries to go dead or bulbs to burn out.

TTC

Got 2 batterys for mine at Wal Mart for 3.59 and they put them in.That was yesterday.

You did not mention the brand of bore light?

I have a brass, down the bore light from Cabelas which is same as one I have from CVA. Cheapest batteries were from Wal-Mart as Jess noted.

Both my borelights are "fussy" when putting back together... sometimes have to take apart and tweak little connector wires several times. Mine do not have a plastic sleeve.

Have heard good things about down the bore light from Joe & Susie William's @ The Gun Works. Think I will get one of those.

I was over at Albuquerque and stopped by Thunder Ridge before Bob sold it last month. Same little brass jobby that Track and Dixie and the rest sell. I hadnt tried tweakin teh wires, will try that.

Kmart wanted four dollars and a half each battery. I finally found them at my little local grocery for a buck each. I will tweak with the wires, they look kinda smashed. Mine has the little plastic sleeve. There's gotta be a better idea here.

i take one of my round balls and just drop that or roll it down the bore to the breech and have a look see with a doctors pen light, the lead ball lights up the bore real good....i always have some RB's round :v .................bob

THe wires on the LED (light emitting diode) need to make contact in with the side of the light and the battery, also make sure that the +/- are configured correctly positive needs to be up. I sure like the idea of the stainless steel rod. but bore lights sue impress the guys at the pawn shop, they figured I was a pro and sold me my hawken cheap.

I have gone through about 3 of these in the past few years and they are a pain in the butt to keep working reliably.I saw one that has been advertised in the DGW catalog the past couple years called the lightning bore light for $19.99. It sounded good,so I called to order one and was told that the price had increased by $10.I ordered it anyway and when it arrived it was the most cheaply made $30 item I had ever seen. It did a great job of lighting up the bore and because the light is in front you can also see the breech plug.It fell apart after about 6 uses.It was a thin hollow brass rod with the wiring runnig through it and a tiny light on the end.Rod I believe was about 3 feet long,at the other end was the tube that held two AA batteries.Press the button with your thumb and it all lit up nicely.It was a great idea that was just poorly made.

i saw a fiber optic cable with a cap that goes on the end of a mag lite flashlight that when yer mag lite is on it transfer the light through the optic cable that was bout 3' long to the end light :v ...............bob

This is the light you need. I got this light at Dixon's Fair last year. It cost all of $15 and came with two extra batteries. If you take the pocket clip off it only measures .252 in dia.
It's made by: Coast Products, PO Box 5821, Portland, OR 97228. I don't know if they have a web site or not.
215143605.jpg

I use a key chain laser light, I take the vent liner out and put the light up to the hole and I can see very good from the bore.

The little light is a bright "sum beech"

Try one out

Good Idea, John,
I looked at these lights at the SHOT show a couple years ago, they appeared to be bullet proof. My daughter works at the company next door to them in Portland, I think I'll email her and have her run over there and see if she can pick one up and send it to me. After all, it is Christmas.

I buy plastic spot mirrors at Michael's and Wallmart, you get a small bag of 100 for under $2.00. Use a hot glue gun and glue the spot mirror on any diameter wood dowel that will go down your barrel. I make the dowel about an inch long. Then I use my Dremel Tool and grind the plastic mirror down to the same size as the dowel rod. Drop down the barrel with mirror up and shine a light down the barrel.

I got a little bore sized button of aluminum that drops down the bore. With my little mini mag shining down the bore it reflects the light back up. It is better than any bore light I have seen, and it only cost a couple of bucks.

To check my bore I use 45acp nickel plated empty for fifty calibur and 38 special nickel plated empty for 45 calibur just drop down bore and shine light down barrel can't see breech plug but you can see most of inside of barrel. Joe

I found that the illuminated fishing bobber light inserts work really well and are small enough to drop into any muzzleloader and they put out more than enough light for the job They are also readily available at most fishing supply stores and are very inexpensive.

smokeydays

I have 2 different but similar bore lights. Both about an 1" long, use a hearing aid battery, cost of either light was 8 bucks. I used to use the drop down the barrel reflectors but they are useless compared to these lights. When buying a used muzzleloader you gotta have one. Put a little o ring on the screw (off-on switch) so it doesn't accidentally turn on.

Back