• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Boring out Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevada

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been brought up many times,but wouldnt the breech plug [taboo never to be removed] breech plug have to come out? Someone could make money offering a replacement for all the hacked up breech plugs swirling around.They're soft so I assume they tighten them,and tighten them again until it lines up with a flat.Like the torque twisty head bolts on newer Chevy 350"s.

A Smith that does ML re-bore jobs does indeed remove the plug.
A "Witness Mark" is made usually on the lower flat at the plug/barrel seam with a sharp chisel so that the plug can be installed in the exact same position.

The plugs that should never come out are the ones that use a plug and drum style flash channel as the drum install many times (and always with CVA/Traditions Arms) wil interfere the plug threads and damage will occur when the plug is removed.

Otherwise an experienced person with the proper tools can remove and install plugs.
Fee's for "Breeching a barrel" range from $50-100.

It is general advise to not remove plugs unless there is an absolute need to as most don't have the large vises and wrenches needed to do the job and the typical guy doesn't know about the safety protocol involved.

In other words, if there is no need to mess with it,, don't mess with it, :v

Nevada said:
Someone could make money offering a replacement for all the hacked up breech plugs swirling around.

The world is waaaaaaay ahead of you. They're relatively cheap and readily available. Here is just one of many sources.

Thanks for the link.I've been looking unsucessfully.I looked they only have the inline replacement breech plugs.

Replacement breach plugs? Ever try Track of The Wolf, Dixie Gun Works, Muzzleloader's Builders Supply, Deer Creek Products and many more? They are out there. Check this one out http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?Cat2Name=Breech Plugs&SubCat2ID=73&do=list&Cat1Name=Furniture

I guess I should have said a direct identical replacement for cva/traditions sidelocks.I'm aware of the others.

Welcome aboard.

Reboring is best left to professionals. Consulting with one will reveal whether or not your particular gun is a canidate or not.

The key to this is whether or not your breech plug is large enough to allow for a larger caliber, if it's large enough in diameter. Next consideration is whether any threaded holes or dovetails in your barrel are so deep as to render the barrel wall too thin once bored out.

It is always best to use the same plug on an existing gun as alignment has already been established. The threading doesn't always begin at the same point on each barrel and plug, so a new plug may not align when threaded in and the breech end of the barrel and/or the plug may have to have metal removed to align them. This can cause your barrel to have to be "set back" in the gun which ill cause alignment problems with other parts. This can be cost prohibitive on an inexpensive gun like a Traditions or CVA.

Lastly, a personal request, please adjust your moniker so that the American flag is displayed properly. As a 20+ veteran of the U.S. military I find it very disrespectful and offensive to have the our flag displayed in the fashion you have chosen, and imagine others do too.

Thank you, J.D. Kerstetter :patriot:

I took down the avatar.Its not a sign of disrepect,but of distress.And if you dont think the country is in distress you're not paying attention.You're the 2nd person today that supports the 2nd amendment but not the 1st.I too am a veteran as was my father.But have it your way.

Well said from both parties !!! Very sensitive time's for our Country !!! We just need to keep talking it out !!!

Semper Fi !!!

Ed...

THE FLAG CODE, Title 36, U.S.C., Chapter 10, As amended by P.L. 344, 94th Congress, Approved July 7, 1976

"§ 176. Respect for flag: No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."
(emphasis added)

Let's take it for what it is, you admit your display was nothing more than a thinly veiled political statement and if you hadn't taken it down I'd like to think the moderators would do so as it's against the rules of the forum, as well as U.S. Code.

Displaying the U.S. Flag upside down in any situation other that outlined above merely diminishes the situations that our fighting men and women around the world have found themselves in that may have required it. To me it's more about respecting them and what they've been through than anything else.

My politely asking you to take it down reflects nothing on my political views. You can assume whatever you want, but it was not a personal attack. I ask that you pay me the same courtesy.

Enjoy, J.D.

If one person flies our flag upside down and another finds it wrong...well better to be that way than to be burned by some muslim.
I fly the American flag plus a Rebel flag here on my 1 acre. If someone doesn't like my flags, then they can keep on truckin'down the road.
If they get to loud...I will have them in the back cotton field pulling cotton. :thumbsup:

Mus'nt run afoul of the US Code,unless of course yer an illegal alien.The US Govt doesnt give 2 shits for us.

I take a real old fashioned view of laws and regs. I obey them. If I don't like a law, I'll work to get it changed.

"Johny did it too!" doesn't cut it for me, any more than "Everyone else was going 10 miles over the speed limit!"

Yup. I'm the SOB in front of you that's driving 55 in a 55.

For me, that's the honor and responsibility of citizenship.

Lets get off the flag issue and back to the topic please.

Nevada:

As for tightening up the breech plug until it lines up with the flats like torquing a old Chevy headbolt, it doesn't happen that way.

The face and shoulder of the plug are machined (filed) to all tighten against the barrels shoulder inside the barrel and the rear of the barrel when the flat of the plug aligns with the top flat on the barrel.
That's three things happening at once! :shocked2:

This is not an easy task so it can't be done by just anybody.

Each time the breech plug is removed and reinstalled, the surfaces are worn.
If they wear very much they won't tighten down properly.
That explains why removing a breech plug should not be done unless it is a last resort or the barrel is going to be remachined.

Ive bored a few pistol barrels before. At the least you would need a lathe and a good drill. And yes you would have to remove the breechplug. Not difficult with a good vise and wrench. It is best left to a gunsmith though. I got by using a twist drill fed by hand and hand reamed after the fact. But its not the best way.

Latest posts

Back