• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bought a Virginia rifle, how did I do ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was watching it too, almost bit, but 60 cal is not in my armory, didn't want to mess with another caliber. I bought a custom built Leman in .50 this weekend instead, beautiful authentic gun. Good Luck with your new toy, she's a beauty.

Thanks for not bidding guys, I appreciate it !! I was really surprised when I won it, as I did not bid much more than the minimum bid, I was sure I would be outbid. Will keep you posted how the repair goes. 60 is a new caliber for me also, but think it would be good for some of the larger game up here, may try to get a grizzly with it.

Received the rifle today, beautiful piece ! The crack looks easy to fix. Am trying to figure out what size balls and patch to order. I think it is a .58 instead of a .60. It has a 7 groove barrel, so is difficult to measure accurately across lands. A .595 ball is definitely too large, I believe a .570 with a .020 patch should work well.

I believe a .570 with a .020 patch should work well.

Have you tried that yet? or a .018 pillow ticking with a .570, see how that works, that is if you have it. Either one, see how it loads. I normally use a .570 ball and lubed .024 patch in my Rice barreled .58.

I removed the barrel just a bit ago to determine the extent of the crack. The crack does not extend into the barrel channel, just between the ramrod channel and the lock mortise. But, I discovered that the barrel is indeed a .60, it is stamped GETZ .60. I am not sure what size ball to try first. TOW sizes jump from .575 to .595, and I think a .595 will be a bit tight, with the 7 grooved rifling. The grooves are not as large as my Colerain barrels, even though they are smaller calibers. I am thinking a .595 with a .010 patch or a .575 with a .020.

roklok said:
I removed the barrel just a bit ago to determine the extent of the crack. The crack does not extend into the barrel channel, just between the ramrod channel and the lock mortise. But, I discovered that the barrel is indeed a .60, it is stamped GETZ .60. I am not sure what size ball to try first. TOW sizes jump from .575 to .595, and I think a .595 will be a bit tight, with the 7 grooved rifling. The grooves are not as large as my Colerain barrels, even though they are smaller calibers. I am thinking a .595 with a .010 patch or a .575 with a .020.

.595 with a .018 or .020 I'd say would be a close bet. Tight is good. :thumbsup:

One of my friends has a Getz .60 rifle he shoots a .590 and 20thou. patch and I belive 90gr 2f goex

Send that rifel to me and I'll fix that crack for you. Should be able to get it back to you in, say, 6 or 7 years. :v

I repaired the crack (posted the repair in the gunbuilding section), and have been shooting the rifle. Using the .595s from TOW that actually measure right at .590 with a .015 patch. Have tried loads from 80 to 120 grains of 2F. Seems to be a very nice shooting rifle, am going to try to get a bear with it this spring.

Latest posts

Back