• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bowie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking at your knife for days, because I have mixed feelings. Your wire inlaying is excellent, both in performance, and design, on both the knife handle and the sheath. I would NOT have the raised or relief carving on the handle because of the abrasion that would occur with any kind of use. I don't buy knives to look at: They are tools to be used.

On the same score, I would not have wasted all that wire on such a beautiful piece of wood on the handle. There are obviously tiger strips under the glitz of the wire, and dark finish. Wire inlays should be used on a piece of wood that is plain, in my humble opinion, and not a piece of wood that is gorgeous in its own right. Its the mixing of the two beautiful designs-- one of nature, and the other your fine work-- that has caused me trouble here.

By comparison, you allowed most of that same beautiful wood to show off on the sheath, but limited your wire inlays on the sheath to the top and bottom. That I like! The viewer gets to see a gorgeous piece of wood made into a working sheath, together with your own artistry with the tastefully done wire inlays. The Inlays, by their location, invite the eye to look at the gorgeous wood, and draw your eyes along the length of the sheath. WELL DONE.

The work on the handle is gorgeous to look at in each angle, but as a whole its too much, busying my eye with all that detail when in the background is this beautiful piece of wood I am trying to see. I do commend you for the Asymmetry of the shape of the handle, and your choice of sweeping design inlays to move the eye over the handle.

Over all, I think the piece is nicely done. But, I would not buy it, for the reasons stated. When it comes to beautiful wood, and inlays, or carving, Less is More, to my way of thinking. ( You got it right on the sheath, but missed on the handle of the knife) Inlays and carvings should be used to enhance the figure of the wood, and make the eye move along the stock to see how beautiful the wood is, not supplant the natural beauty of the wood like graffitti( no matter how nicely done) on a nicely painted mural.

Well, I did ask for opinions and critiques! But in defense of the reasons this piece was created the way it was, I must reply! First off though,thank you for seeing all aspects of this knife. Having studied art for thirty plus years, I can appreciate that.I must state that this was made exactly as it was commisioned,the wire pattern of course left to my discression,the choice of wood was also left to my choosing and it was and is by far not even close to my best grade, It was chosen for it's ability to withstand the detailed inlaying it would hold, pretty as it may be it is only medeocre in pattern but still nice enough to accentuate the work that it adorns. The relif carving for the most part is not as high as it appears in the photo's and was located where it is for decorative purpose but not so that it would interfere with use( this knife by the way is fully functional) the relief carving that does contact the hand actually feels good and helps manipulate the blade with ease, however this knife was of course not ordered for use but as a collector piece by a very prominant collector of forty plus years. He ,wanted me, to "waste" that much wire in this knife, actually, he requested that I do something most people would not have seen for hundreds of years, thus my inspiration came from books of firearms made in the 17 hundreds( I have a very extensive collection),back then the upper crust ordered and paid for art of this type as well. In short, I really couldn't see not making all aspects of this knife nice,and he(the owner) was very pleased. Most of the work I do, on a full time basis, is not of this high order, but the quality hopefully is. Wes

No need to feel like you have to explain the why's of your knife. It stands for itself. That knife is art, not a common tool, and it is superbly done. You are a true artist. I have made knives for 36 years, and have made a few that were intended to be art, but none that match that piece of yours. Paul tends take the practical perspective regarding most anything, which is just his way. I am sure he meant well. Your blade work is as nice as the rest, I would have to add, and even on art knives, that is what I see first.

Actually, Wick, My first knife I made was a Bowie, and I still have it. I change the handle and guard twice. I very much am interested in artistry in knives, but a pretty screw driver is still a screw driver! The same has to go with knives. Some embellishments compliment the knife. Others impede its functions. Then there are few knives with so much of everything that they make your eyes sore just looking at all of it. I see that with engraving of pistols and rifles, too. The true artist uses empty space as much as design to compiment each in his art. NO?

Negative space is the term for it. Artist play negative space and positive space to manipulate the pattern or design. Even in paintings or printmaking it is a good idea to pay attention to what shape the negative space is taking.

A pretty gun is still a gun. Those high art guns of the past were meant to use as are the fancy rifles or plain rifles that I build. To just hang one of my rifles on the wall is a insult, but once it is sold it is no longer my place to say. This knife IMHO is a piece of high art that is intended to be used and the artist has taken the function of the piece into consideration in planning the overall design. Heck, if the fellow you made it for doesn't like it send it to me. :wink:

Thanks to all, and I do mean everyone! Being more of a knifemaker than a computer guy, It takes me a while to get on here as regular as I'd like. My knife business is really bearing down on me this time of year with hunters, fishermen and taxidermists all needing knives sharpened or repaired,I'm not complaining, but I really want to start building knives for the mtn man era reenactors( and myself). So after the first of the year I'll hopefully have something available that will make ya drool. In the mean time I'm patiently waiting for a custom made barrel for a new smoke pole I'm teaching myself to build, Wes

Hey Wes,

That plank of ironwood is coming. I snuck into town yesterday, but didn't call you because I was embarassed to have left it standing by the door. It's 1/2" x 3" x about 5 feet, so you oughta find plenty of uses.

Thanks Brown bear, I'll check on that. I still ain't got around to checking on having BP shipped to the Island but will soon, If my wife keeps spending money I'll not have to worry about it anyway. I'm hoping to get out soon for some silvers for the winter, and the smoker, as I did terrible on reds and halibut,,, watch yer topknot, Wes

oh my gawd!!! after looking at that wire inlay and other art work .i will be ashamed to post any of my work ever again tht is beautiful but that does not begine to express that knife. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Latest posts

Back