• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Boy's first deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osprey

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The past few years I've been taking the kid next door hunting, helped him get his first goose, ducks, turkey this past spring, and today, finally, his first deer. Yearling doe, 60 pounds, 30 yard shot, great hit, fell once and ran about 25 yards before piling. One excited little 11 year old boy (along with his very exited 38 year old mentor!). When we got home I showed him how to skin and quarter (we'll get the hide tanned for him to keep in his room), tomorrow morning he's learning how to butcher and make burger and sausage.

Possibly the best part - I gave him his choice of which gun to tote, either the in-line, my new flintlock (he went to Dixon's Gun Fair with me when I got the parts!), or the old TC .54 Renegade. Didn't even think a second, he wanted the .54, the Jeremiah Johnson gun. First shot ever with it for him and he smokes one!

MVC-001F-1.jpg

Glad to hear it. I wish all kids had a positive male role model in their life. Glad you take the time to show an intrest when he doesnt have a dad that will.

:applause: :applause:
Way to go Osprey :applause: :applause:
That boy will remember this deer (and you) if he lives to be 100. Good job.
:hatsoff:
Spot

That's outstanding, simply outstanding. You deserve a big pat on the back, sharing your time like that. Good job. The smile on that young mans face says it all. I'm glad for the both of you.
Congratulations to both yous. :thumbsup:

Congratulations To you and the Lad ! :hatsoff:
That's something neither one of you will forget.

What a great memory for the both of you to share the rest of your lives. Thanks for sharing with us.

That is GREAT! Although, you migh have just lost a rifle!

You just can't beat a Renegade 54. A great rifle, you dun spoiled the boy!

Headhunter

It doesn't get any better than that until is it your own 11 year old grandson!

I can't wait to take my son (he is 6) he is starting to show interest in it.

We are going to go goose hunting after Iowa pheasant opener when the birds start to flock up so we can go to the picked corn field where they go feed.

Can't wait

Good job on taking him out and showing him the way!

Back