• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP for Moose

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54Bernie54

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, I own a Hawken 54cal percussion roundball with a 1/65 twist that I love and use for deer and target.I i'm in the process of planing a future first time moose hunt.Although I know my current ML could take a moose with a well placed shot inside of 50 yards, I'm thinking of getting something with more range. Just hate the thought of having a moose hanging out at 100 plus yards and not getting a shot.I'm looking at a 50cal Pedersoli Hawken with a 1/24 twist which use a 450 grs bullet compared to a 227 grs bullet in my 54 roundball . I'm I correct for thinking that the heavier bullet with give me more range, plus the added accuracy of the faster twist and the fact that I wont be using a round ball? will I have enough bullet speed to take a moose at 100 yards with a good powder charge? Thanks Bernie

There are probably not very many ml hunters on this forum who have much direct experience hunting moose so it may be hard to get reliable info.

The conical load you are describing would easily be the equivalent of a .50-70 or .50-90 BPC load both of which were accepted as effective buffalo rounds in the day. That should pretty much support the effectiveness of the .50 slug gun.

The moose in my area are of the Shiras variety which I beleive is smaller than the northern species. They are very common in my deer and elk area and even the largest ones I see would not discourage me from using my .54 on a moose of that size. Certainly bigger than an elk but not that much bigger. Unfortunately, I'll probably never get a tag, soo... :(

If I knew I could hunt moose in the future, and given my preference for round balls, I'd get a .58 or .62 round ball gun for that hunt just cor the extra insurance.

Our moose are most certainly lots bigger than Shiras moose. I get used to looking at moose up here, and I'm always a little startled when I get around Shiras. The Shiras I've helped butcher have all been something like 25% smaller. I've never seen a Shiras hindquarter top 200 pounds, yet I expect that from a mature bull up here.

Lots more secondhand than firsthand experience, but up here there are a fair number of primitive weapon only (archery and ML) draw hunts for moose. Talking to the folks that supervise them reveals that although some folks take them with RB, the vast majority are taken with 50 cal conicals of one sort or another. No probs reported other that sighting errors from guys trying to shoot too far (no scopes allowed). But no probs with RB, either. The managers say that most guys who hunt with RB stick to 54 cal and larger, though a few moose each year are taken with 50 cal RB. The managers actively try to discourage 50 cal RB, though, even if the law says it's okay. Just more margin for error in their mind.

My experiences sezz that the need for extra range is overstated and overrated. Moose are whole bunch easier to stalk than deer or elk, both by nature and by the terrain in many places. Unless a moose has already seen you or is moving, you can easily stalk within 100 yards in typical brushy terrain. More open terrain like out along the Alaska Peninsula makes that harder, but more often than not you can find a circular route that will bring you close, even if you can't get there directly.

In your shoes I'd concentrate on picking a caliber/weight combo that was an effective killer and then get to work on your stalking skills. The managers up here say that one of the most common wounding problems is poor range estimation by guys who think they can shoot far. The moose are just a lot further away than they appear to be, and guys fixated on longer range shooting tend to take shots way too soon, thinking they're 100 yards away when it's more like 150 or 175. If you're intent on getting closer in the first place, you'll be surprised how far away they really are as you work to get closer.

I think you can find a short conical, like the Ballettes from Buffalo Bullets, or the LEE R.E.A.L. slug that can be shot from your existing barrel. That .54 RB weighs more than 1/2 oz. so don't be underestimating its ability to kill out to 100 yards. The short conicals may give you a slight advantage.

Moose don't have very many predators, naturally. Bears are about it. Sometimes wolf packs.And a high stepping moose can usually out run even a bear in the kind of terrain where they live. The bears tend to only get the old, sick, and lame moose, injured some other way.

The point is that Moose are not particularly wary animals, and they don't bolt at the first sight of man. I agree with BrownBear. Work on your stalking skills, and on your ability to accurately estimate range over rough ground. Buy a short range rangefinder, and use it. If you use a guide, most likely he will have one. Practice moving bent at the waist to reduce your outline as you near game.Practice move around brush, and not over it. Moose have good ears, and they also " Listen " to vibrations through the ground, with their large soft padded feet. Learn to move when their heads are down, and stop dead when that head comes up. It should not be very difficult to close to within 50 yards, if you simply practice your stalking skills. Listen to other forest animals for alarm calls as you move. They tell you when you are moving too fast, or making too much noise.

If archers can get close enough to take moose with a bow and arrow, you should have no trouble getting within range to take them with your .54. Save the money on the new barrel, and use what you have. Spend the time this summer practicing your stalking skills, instead of trying to find a new load and bullet to use on what may be a once in a lifetime hunt. Shooting you current load will serve you much better.

I was born and raised in Western Canada and have hunted moose many times in the Rocky Mountain foothills. Like has been stated earlier moose are substantially easier to stalk than most of their smaller relatives. They are also incredibly easy to call if you are hunting during or close to the rut which is often the case in Canada. Get yourself a call and practice with it or learn how to do it with just your mouth and hands. It's very easy and can be learned in minutes. I have a friend in Canada who had never hunted moose before call one that actually swam across a river to get to where he was calling.

As for purchasing another rifle just for the hunt it depends on several things. First and foremost is this okay with "She Who Must Be Obeyed"? If it is and the extra expense will not cause any damage to your hunt by all means......NEVER pass up the opportunity to buy another rifle. Yes a fast twist barrel with a heavy slug will shoot farther and penetrate better and it will possibly be more accurate but you'll still be using open sights (I hope) and minute of moose is a pretty big target. Also I believe a .54 prb with a good stout load is ample treatment for any moose out to 100 yards and even farther. The most important thing as always is bullet placement. I would take that .54 out and practice at 100 yards until I was confident in my shooting then I would go out and get my moose.

The managers up here say that one of the most common wounding problems is poor range estimation by guys who think they can shoot far.

Methinks you are hitting the nail right on the head with that one! :)

Centerfires, scopes and the current fascination with long range shots and sniper lore are pulling hunters away from the concept of the hunt, the spot and stalk and woodsmanship in general. Too bad, there is no perfect 500 yard shot that can compare to approaching to within 20 or 30 yards and putting the shot right where aimed.

Going off on a tangent here, so I'll just butt out. :)

Hello from Germany!

Beneath the things already said I will recommend a stout load of 120 grs FFg and a PRB. That is good medicine for the moose when the shot is well placed.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Hawken54Rball,
I was thinking like you when I drew my bull moose tag here in Colorado. I used a Thompson Renegade with a 1/48 twist and a 430 gr. maxiball. My shot ended up being about 85 yards (I paced it off afterwards), the moose was standing out in a wide open marshy area and that was as close as I could get without leaving cover. He walked a little with the shot, lay down in the marsh, and then got up and walked to dry ground (yay!) before he went down for good. It was a rear quartering shot, the bullet entered just forward of the diaphragm and went through his vitals, stopping in front of his opposite shoulder against the hide.
We have Shiras moose here. They look pretty big to me compared to elk. My oldest son, who was 16 at the time, and who had helped me field dress and quarter several elk at that point in his life, said to me after we walked up to it and tried to lift a leg and couldn't, "What are we going to do now, dad?"

Here's one that we saw occasionally in our deer and elk area a few years ago.

MVC-011F.JPG

I spotted him about 150 yards out in the meadow and started walking slowly toward him right out in the open. He stood and watched me all along. At about 35 yards I decided that, given that the rut was on, that was close enough! :shocked2: After taking a few pics I turned and walked back toward the edge of the meadow. when almost back to the trail, I turned and saw that he was following me. YOW!! :shocked2: Made me very nervous. After standing on the trail for a while he tired of me and walked off at an angle toward the same trail. That's when I took this pic.

He's a Colorado Shiras and not the biggest one I've seen in this area.

Funny thing is there was a bowhunter with a bull moose tag hunting the area (mostly on the seat of his ATV :( ) and after several days was complaining that he had seen no moose :confused:

Meanwhile, this one below had walked into our camp and helped himself to licking some BBQ sauce off some rocks around the firepit :haha:

henderson%20moose2.jpg

I have taken many moose with my .54 rifle. Round balls will work if you get close and place your shot well. I prefer to use the Hornady Great Plains Bullets ( 425gr HBHP) and 110grs 3F. This load will shoot 1.5-3" at 100 yards plenty good for moose. I have never had to fire a second shot, my longest shot was 130 yards, the closest was 30 feet, the average for most shots was 25-30 yards. None of the moose traveled more that 100 feet after being hit and several dropped in their tracks,I try to only take broadside shots, ussualy not a problem. If your shot placement is on, the moose will go down fairly easy. I would use the .54 try a variety of bullets and powder charges, some slow twist guns will shoot conicals with good accuracy. Good Luck

Back